Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend lost his Driver License for for 60 days ( DUI) and later he must drive only to work . Can he be able to use his boat during this time ?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
It's always a "friend" that bad things happend to right?
A good question though-unfortunately went down the ouil path this winter and not fun. The good part about it is I learned alot and will not do it again. I wondered the same question and what would have happened had it been boating season. Does your boating license and drivers license have the same record. Lets say a "friend" got another dui on the lake after having one in a car, would it be the same as getting a second one in a car. Some people say your boating record is seperate from driving. True or false?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
In New Hampshire, you lose you drivers' license, you lose ALL priviledges to operate ANY motor vehicle. This includes boats, four wheelers, dirt bikes (any off road vehicles), and funny enough, riding lawn mowers. Even on your own property.

Don't know the rules here in Mitchagan...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
I was told that a a few years back they changed it so if you got a dui on the water in mich it went on your normal driver lic# . Weather you are allowed to still drive a boat with out a lic iam not sure ,

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
QUOTE(SKUZA @ Apr 1 2004, 02:45 PM)It's always a "friend" that bad things happend to right?
A good question though-unfortunately went down the ouil path this winter and not fun. The good part about it is I learned alot and will not do it again. I wondered the same question and what would have happened had it been boating season. Does your boating license and drivers license have the same record. Lets say a "friend" got another dui on the lake after having one in a car, would it be the same as getting a second one in a car. Some people say your boating record is seperate from driving. True or false?
It is my friend ,but I learned a lot when he showed me his lawyer bill

Where is Gary or Jim ?

·
Registered
81 Posts
you do not need a lisence to drive boat in MI

Butt if you do get any ticket or driving offence will show on your
driving record. This means DUI on water goes aginst your driving record.

·
Registered
954 Posts
They have tried to have your boating record go on your road drivers Lic. This did not pass (as of yet) but your ORV record is the same as your road. You have to records in the L.E.I.N. system. The court is not supposed to use your watercraft record against your Road record. So in short if you get a DUIL on the water it does NOT affect you road record same the other way. I have seen the Judge use a persons road record if they have several road DUIL's in a watercraft OUIL. Bottom line for the state they are separate records, but the insurance companies look at both for your insurance. One thing negative about boating tickets they are misdemeanor's and not civil infractions as it is on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts