Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am ordering a driveshower for my boat tonight (I have a Bravo3) because of an overheating problem.

There is a website that everyone should check out:

http://www.driveshowers.com/

This has some great information that every boater should check out.

G

·
I put a couple of the halo models on my Bravo I's last year and they seem to work great, although I haven't hung off the swim platform to watch them at speed. They had a group discount for a week or so through OSO that knocked $20 off each.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just ordered mine this morning. 149.95 with shipping and handling. Bill272, did you replace your outdrive fluid with synthetic Mobil 1 or AMSOIL synthetic? the guy from Simrek suggested that I use 80 or 90 weight synthetic gear lube instead of the mercury outdrive fluid.

G

·
No, I just use the Merc High Perf. gear lube. I've got stock 330's, so I'm not running big power through them. I change the fluid in the fall and it always looks new.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Bill. I think that I may still change mine to synthetic because I have a Bravo 3 and they say those run VERY hot. I think this might help, along with the drive shower.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Bill272,

I thought merc high perf. was a synthetic lube. Is that the green colored stuff? Thats what I use in my alpha 1's. I have used it for the last few seasons and been happy with it.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dailey,
I was told that is semi-synthetic. I was told to use full synthetic 80-90 weight AMSOIL or Mobil 1 on my outdrive by the driveshower manufacturer. Right now I am using the same fluid as you.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Being that this is our first season with this boat, she is being de-winterized bythe marina we bought her through (part of the package). We are learning this all for the first time and want to learn before we do something.

We have Twin, Mercruiser Alpha I 5.7L - 350, which are stock. What do the seasoned people here suggest for stern drive as well as engine oils/llube? I know the marina contracts out their winterizing (de) and I have no idea what they use. I would rather supply my own and tell them to use that if need be.

thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Feb 21 2003, 02:10 PM)Being that this is our first season with this boat, she is being de-winterized bythe marina we bought her through (part of the package). We are learning this all for the first time and want to learn before we do something.

We have Twin, Mercruiser Alpha I 5.7L - 350, which are stock. What do the seasoned people here suggest for stern drive as well as engine oils/llube? I know the marina contracts out their winterizing (de) and I have no idea what they use. I would rather supply my own and tell them to use that if need be.

thanks,
Jim
You might want to get a couple of driveshowers. They say that Alpha 1's are the second hottest running outdrives, second only to the Bravo 3(which I have). The guy from Simrek Corp. where I got my shower suggested I use AMSOIL 80-90 Synthetic gear lube for mine, but you might want to check out their websit and email them to find out what they suggest for yours.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts