Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well assuming this bait was actually used in Everstart tournament last weekend
And since the cat is outta the bag so to speak, I'll post my question.

According to article in FLW outdoors it was used by quite a few guys, anybody fished this bait ?? If so what hook and size did you use ?? I picked up a 1/0 Owner Downshot hook. Debated with 3/0 but 1/0 should be okay.

I obtained a few today and they are good size for a drop shot bait. I'm not sure I can legally tie one on in my living room for practice, since dropshotting is banned in Michigan
My goldfish seemed to like it, actually it was doing a mating swim

I figured I better have a couple for the BFL, in case I get drawn out with Clapper....

Any help on rigging would be great for this particular bait,

Ckev

·
Registered
882 Posts
1/0 Owner Drop Shot hook should work just fine. I love those Owner hooks. If a fish breaths on them they are hooked. Surgically sharp!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You guys are brave, 313 views and only 2 responses

BA - Flw broke the "secret" anyways, not me - LOL

Doesn't really matter anyways, gotta find the fish first

Madwags - Thanks for the vote of confidence on Owners...

Any bets ?? Four weeks from now, I'm sure ALOT more people will know the best hook for this bait

I'm eager to try my new hand pours from Finland anyways, these Dropshot Goby's got nothing on my new baits

Ckev

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I saw the Goby @ the Lunkers show in March. Although it was a prototype, it still looks good.

I have been using the XPS Drop Shot Minnow all summer with good success. I use a #2 Mustad MegaLite hook and rig it Texas rig instead of just nose hooked. In my mind (which can be a desolate place...lol) it puts the hook closer to the fish than nose hooking.

Mini

·
Registered
163 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jul 27 2004, 10:16 AM)In my mind (which can be a desolate place...lol) it puts the hook closer to the fish than nose hooking.

Mini
LOL @ Mini!!! I think Marke and I visited that place with you one time at Camp Neely!!!

Craig

·
Sponsor Since 1/10
5,229 Posts
QUOTE(toadhunter911 @ Jul 27 2004, 11:46 AM)QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Jul 27 2004, 10:16 AM) In my mind (which can be a desolate place...lol) it puts the hook closer to the fish than nose hooking.

Mini
LOL @ Mini!!! I think Marke and I visited that place with you one time at Camp Neely!!!

Craig
I think you're right Craig...

As far as hooks go, I've used the Mustad's Mini mentioned, Owner's that MadWag's mentioned and heard that the PB Goby's were being rigged with circle hooks.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
I use a 1/0 gami drop shot hook and never had any problems. Nose hooked or whacky style. But I'm not a drop shot expert by any stretch.

Mini, when you texas rig it with a bigger hook, does the bait still stay level? Never tried it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like the 1/0 Owner Mosquito hook.

Poor Boy's is on vacation for 11 days--what a time to be on vacation! Judging by the orders Mike's Rx Baits has taken, they're going to be pouring gobies for months straight!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Poor Boy's have a sponsor of Erie Anglers for over a year now When Ricky Dixon and myself took 4 place in the GNT championship last year with Poor Boy's products the (Erie Darter) I called them to let them know how happy I was with there product there are good people. Now tubes have a place in my boat but it's not the first thing that I throw. I have been using the Goby for a while now (undercover) this is also top-notch bait, if I don't like it I won't talk about it. You owe it yourself to give it a try.
Mike
ErieAnglers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts