Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been seeing people talking about drop shoting for small mouth, what is it and how does it work?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
I'm a flyfisherman and have never rigged or fished a drop shot myself, but Google is a wonderful thing-

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/dropshotting.htm

What I do know, and not from Google, is that a drop shot is used to fish your bait at a presribed depth, and works well in current or on a drift because it's weighted and is dragging the bottom, while the bait is however deep you have it set. It works well to swim your bait above submergent vegetation, or at a specific thermocline.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
Great info Jeff. I will add that just about any soft plastic bait works well with a drop shot rig. Worms, grubs, flukes, tubes. If you're using a heavy tube sometimes stuffing an small piece of styrofoam inside will give the tube a more lifelike appearance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, keep'em coming. I mostly fish Muskie's. I have been taking my boy muskie fishing since he was 4, I owe it to him to get him on some small mouth he has been asking to fish for them, I think he is starting to get a little tired of the hit and miss muskie fishing days, I need to re-energize him. Thanks for all the help. I can honestly say for the short time I have been on this forum, it seems to be one of the better ones and I find myself coming back more and more.

Thanks again

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
QUOTE(Racerx211 @ Jul 3 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for all the help. I can honestly say for the short time I have been on this forum, it seems to be one of the better ones and I find myself coming back more and more.

Thanks again

Well good, glad you enjoy the site. We do our best to have something for everyone to enjoy.

If you're looking to energize your boy on muskies, the best way to do that is trolling. You're going to see alot more fish trolling than you would casting. Trolling you can have three rods out per son, each with different baits, depths etc. It's not a guarantee to catch fish, but you'll see more fish trolling than casting. And it works well for younger kids because there's no casting heavy baits all day long to worry about.

·
Registered
958 Posts

Jeff.....are those bucktails I see in your sig????
Has the whole fish of a million casts thing taken it's toll?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts