Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading my fishing magazines over and over lately for the lack of anything better to do and learning about this great Western lake idea of drop-shotting. But from what I have heard its illegal in Michigan to have a weight tied to the end of your line with a hook above it. I hear theres a way around it by tying a certain length a line, say a foot off of your main line then have your hook off of this. But doesn't change the effectiveness of the presentation? I was just curious why the DNR wouldn't consider changing the law if its for this intent, I know they are protecting the salmon. But have you seen the size hooks theses guys use, you couldn't snag a gobi. Never drop-shotted before, maybe this technique isn't useful in the current of Clair and Erie and the rivers, I don't know. Just wanted your opinions. Can you legally do it in Canada and if you have is it effective? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Eric,
Use the search feature on this site and search for drop shot and drop-shot through the past year and a half of posts. Check the Tournament Talk too. Everything that needs to be known on this issue has been posted on this site already and nothing has changed since then on the MDNR side either (for now).

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice DJ on the prior posts search. I maybe getting myself over my head by starting this topic. But don't we as fisherman have any clout with the DNR as far as getting laws changed?

Many people brought up in the prior posts it would be ridiculous to snag salmon with such small hooks, but of course some one would try. I don't know, just my two cents.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
For example: Salmon fishing off the walls in Port Sanilac. They were tight lining, and what happens is the Salmon's stomack is the first to go before they spawn and die so there not eating they swim with there mouths open because that's what happens and here comes the salmon with there jaw forced open and all that happens is they get the line in there mouth and as they swim away the line slide's through there mouth till the hook gets them so how can that be legal when the hook has to really catch them on the outside of the mouth and a legal fish has to be caught in the mouth. See how that works.

h2o<---says that's not fishing

·
Registered
795 Posts
Got to love that answer! "Legalizing the method statewide would create additional snagging enforcement problems, and legalizing it only for a particular type of fishing (i.e. inland bass) would further complicate our regulations at a time when we are trying to simplify them."

Yes lets make the DNR's job easyer, don't try and stay current with the times and styles of fishing.

·
Registered
927 Posts
its legal in canada!

cross the border and have yourself a ball. but i would snip the rig from your line and disassemble it before heading back into american waters. safety precaution.

besides, theres so many other great ways to catch fish, whats one less technique.

i was eyeballing a good size puddle out in the yard today. i was thinking of perfecting my pitching. but my girlfriend wouldnt let me go out and play in the puddle
she said i have serious issues and should seek help

i told her i am already in group therapy with many others just like me....the lake st clair network!!!

i want to go fishing

madman himself

·
Registered
91 Posts
This is so easy, even for the DNR. All they would have to do is add it is illeagal to fish for trout or salmon with this method.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Been drop shotting for years. Never once snagged a salmon or trout. If I wanted to (snag one) I wouldn't use a drop shot rig.

On the Michigan side just add a 3" piece of Mono. I use 20lb test Big Game tied directly to the line. You can easily adjust the depth of the bait by sliding it up and down.
Use floating plastics and add piece of #4 finish nail until you reach nuetral bouancy.
The rig seems to work just fine.
It is beyond me why this rig would be any different than a regular drop shot for snagging something.
I think they need to re-think the law. It is out-dated and certainly was not intended to outlaw a drop shot rig.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts