Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that I am going to hunt ducks. But I am curious as to where on the lake people duck hunt. Is it back in the Little Moot bay?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I've seen people hunting the shores of metro beach, near gino's, wherever on the lake someone can get in. Last year we hit as far as goose bay layout hunting and that was launching out of harley ensign. I think this year i'm going to try some smaller lakes north too but man it's hard not to wanna hunt the big pond every day!

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another reason I ask is this.

A guy I work with has a pleasure boat is thinking about going out this year. His thinking is that the birds are used to seeing pleasure boats so they won't be scared of one parked out there, and will get close enough to shoot.

Personally I think his thinking is wrong because the birds coming won't be the local ones you see swimming around the boat slips.

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Aug 6 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another reason I ask is this.

A guy I work with has a pleasure boat is thinking about going out this year. His thinking is that the birds are used to seeing pleasure boats so they won't be scared of one parked out there, and will get close enough to shoot.

Personally I think his thinking is wrong because the birds coming won't be the local ones you see swimming around the boat slips.

You are most likely correct, most of the ducks get gun shy after the first 2 days of season, that is when the cammo, dekes, and preperation come into play.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Aug 6 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another reason I ask is this.

I think you are correct. I don't think anyone has fired from the tender boats while we were lay out hunting, but I have only been doing that for one year.

This is a good question for Makowish.

Mako....chime in!

·
Premium Member
19,196 Posts
QUOTE(Shep @ Aug 7 2009, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(ShiverMeTimbers @ Aug 6 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another reason I ask is this.

I think you are correct. I don't think anyone has fired from the tender boats while we were lay out hunting, but I have only been doing that for one year.

This is a good question for Makowish.

Mako....chime in!

Makop has a blue bill going on the wall this year from the tender
and yhis year we may set up a spread near the tender just to keep things interesting.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh man now you got me thinking to offer up my boat as the tender. Thanks for the info and the debate at work is on going, in fact we have just bet a lunch on his success.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I'm the guy that ShiverMeTimbers is talking about. My theory is that my 28ft carver won't scare off the birds since they see boats out all year. Even if they are moving down the great lakes they are still seeing boats all over the place along their trips south.
Assuming I'm not going to anger the other hunters I'm thinking of a way to camo my back deck, anchor up and hunt from the deck, then use my dinghy to row out and fetch the freshly shot birds.

Am I crazy? Or crazy like a fox that's about to get himself some ducks and geese?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
QUOTE(Sheamus @ Aug 7 2009, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm the guy that ShiverMeTimbers is talking about. My theory is that my 28ft carver won't scare off the birds since they see boats out all year. Even if they are moving down the great lakes they are still seeing boats all over the place along their trips south.
Assuming I'm not going to anger the other hunters I'm thinking of a way to camo my back deck, anchor up and hunt from the deck, then use my dinghy to row out and fetch the freshly shot birds.

Am I crazy? Or crazy like a fox that's about to get himself some ducks and geese?

I think your logic is sound. I've wanted to do that with my pleasure boat too, but I don't have a dinghy so fetching the birds would be a problem in deep water.

I'd say do it. And I think it'll work. At least for the first couple to few weeks?

Hell now i'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
QUOTE(Sheamus @ Aug 7 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm the guy that ShiverMeTimbers is talking about. My theory is that my 28ft carver won't scare off the birds since they see boats out all year. Even if they are moving down the great lakes they are still seeing boats all over the place along their trips south.

I say do it!! And if you are successfull, I am selling my duck boat!

I honestly think you should give it a try. And watch this site for open hunting seats.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
QUOTE(Sheamus @ Aug 7 2009, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm the guy that ShiverMeTimbers is talking about. My theory is that my 28ft carver won't scare off the birds since they see boats out all year. Even if they are moving down the great lakes they are still seeing boats all over the place along their trips south.

I think you may get lucky and get some pass shooting but that will be about it. I hunt from a full camo boat blind made with fast grass constructed on a 16ft deep v. I have a roof on it as well and it seems every year we are making adjustments because the birds get wise. The birds get used to looking for anything on the water and even though I look like a floating marsh bank the birds will still get eductated very fast on anything sitting in the open water. The best success with my boat blind has been when we can pull it up against another marsh bank and get off the open water. Don't get me wrong we have had our days on the open water but only when conditions have been best. For example, a few years ago I was hunting Mitchells bay. The weather was crappy and blowing and there were 2 good sized rafts setup in the bay. I would assume there were alot of new birds in those rafts too. I was able to setup between the 2 rafs and had awesome shooting all afternoon as birds traded back and forth. If you do try it, get out early in the season.

·
Registered
4,568 Posts

What I think is, you need some help with this theory, and also whitnesses. So I will take one for the team, and allow myself to join you for a shootfest. He!!, I'll even supply you with the gun and ammo if you don't have either.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.