Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A group I run with is considering an outing in October on St. Clair. I am working on setting it up. I have been to St. Clair in late August and early September but have not been there any later than that. I have read that the smallie fishing can be pretty good on St. Clair in the fall as they are loading up for the winter. Is early October a good time for the fish? The full moon is the second weekend and I was eyeing that for the date.

Any help or info is appreciated.

Oh, C&R only , of course.

UFM82

·
Registered
262 Posts
October seems to be good for both SM and muskie. You might not get the same numbers are earlier in the year but you can get some very large fish. IMO, weather plays a bigger role at that time, more so than any other.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have found that the Smallie's are starting to school for feeding up on the flats a lot but then they head for deeper water. The Muskie start to scatter more in the fall but they sure are getting bigger. Bob

·
Registered
262 Posts
Bob, I have seen those sm's on the flats the last two Octobers, saw them while I was looking for the perch out on the Canadian side. Didn't have your experience to know it was the norm. Even found a few that liked emerald shiners

·
Registered
85 Posts
Where are the flats and how is the perch fishing in early Oct? My dad is coming in from Wisconsin and I'm under the gun to produce! He keeps telling me that he has better fishing over there

·
Registered
262 Posts
I usually go on the Canadian side, starting off the Bassett moving SE based on water clarity. The are long flats without much structure other than weed growth. There perch fishing can be excellent that time of year.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
That time of year can be awesome. But weather can quickly spoil a trip....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don't forget the Canadian side of Lake Erie in Oct. Launch from Erie Metro Park, you can catch fish from the mouth of the river to Collchester. We ran a tournament with 50 boats 3rd week of Oct last year. 180 fish brought in, 3-pound everage with 5 over 5-pounds and 1 dandy 6-pounder. If it wasn't for the lake being so muddy it would have been a lot better weigh in. I agree with the other posts, keep an eye on the weather report.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Falling water temps. trigger TROPHY TIME!!!!!!! Oct. is by far my favorite time to fish. Fishing can be fantastic. Continuous action all day long. Of course always stay on top of weather. You know what the day brings by monitoring weather, go out when your positive the day will be excellent..People are hunting, winterizing boats and there's not alot of pressure. Cooler temperture's make it comfortable to fish. Fish know ice is coming and gorge themselfs. Kinda like bear getting ready to hibernate. Night time cold temps. can drive fish deeper, but shallows can produce as the sun heats them up. Experiment, locate fish at different depts, and start your pattern. TROPHY TIME means big fish. Try bigger baits, Why not eat a big meal as opposed to lots of small bite's the fish thinks that way. Remember the stocking hat, turtle neck shirt, wool socks, cotton gloves, and enjoy the area you fish alone. Who knows you might see me out there!!!!

h2o Oct. is trophy time!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
357 Posts
UFM82A

Good Weather + Fall = Big Fish

My buddy caught a 6-12 last October and a 6-15 the previous October.

We have had a few times that we drove all the way to the lake only to go to breakfast and then home (to rough). I would plan your outing but I would have a plan B if high winds are forcast the day before. Better to be safe than sorry!!

Good fishing!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts