Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had always heard that bass was no good to eat, but my girlfriend who likes to eat fish told me to bring some fish home. I kept 4 14 to 16 inch largemouth bass last weekend from Stoney Creek and we prepared it by marinated it lemon juice, dill and greek dressing and then I cooked it on the grill. I will be honest I was shocked how GOOD it was. Not only did I have it fresh on Saturday but i brought the leftovers to work on Monday and Wednesday and just microwaved the fish on reduced heat and poured a little salsa on top. The fish was awesome 4 days later. I just wanted to post this because I know alot of people will be catching bass this weekend and there is going to be the ocassional fish that gets stomach hooked. You might want to keep that fish and cook it up, you might be surprised how good it tastes. Especially in this economy you can't beat a free meal. Just my two cents. Tight lines.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
If it's gut hooked and I know the fish won't make it, I keep it(in season, of course).
The way I see it, if you fish or hunt for it you should be prepared to eat what you kill.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Wasnt this posted a couple of days ago???

It is your right to do so, and I have done it before on fish I know wont make it.

But it is generally accepted to let bass go and catch the "better tasting" fish (walleye/perch).

it is also generally accepted to continue a thread with an update post, rather than start a new one.

But glad you enjoyed your fish.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 19 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If it's gut hooked and I know the fish won't make it, I keep it(in season, of course).
The way I see it, if you fish or hunt for it you should be prepared to eat what you kill.
Amen to that. I believe everyone should be prepared to eat it if they killed it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

·
Registered
962 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

I think bass is quite good myself all nice white meat. If im out fishing I will always keep a couple of bass. shoot there are more bass in the lake than other fish so we may as well keep some for the table.

·
Registered
735 Posts
has anyone heard of the effect the bacteria that killed so many bass this year might have on humans or if it is elimitated completely when cooked?

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Jun 19 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 19 2009, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If it's gut hooked and I know the fish won't make it, I keep it(in season, of course).
Amen to that. I believe everyone should be prepared to eat it if they killed it.

Yep, with the exception of the centipede I killed all by my widdle terrifed self yesterday

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

Actuaully gut hooking is considered a foul hook, and its illegal to posses a fish that was caught this way. all fish kept must be hooked in the mouth. But like said, bass is pretty good, my husband fishes the summer tourneys for bass and some come home for the grill.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

Actuaully gut hooking is considered a foul hook, and its illegal to posses a fish that was caught this way. all fish kept must be hooked in the mouth. But like said, bass is pretty good, my husband fishes the summer tourneys for bass and some come home for the grill.

Gut hooked and snagged are two different things. A gut hook is when the fish swallows the hook deep enough that it has to be cut off or the fish is badly injured.
A snag is when the fish is caught on the outside of the body and not in the mouth.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Actuaully gut hooking is considered a foul hook, and its illegal to posses a fish that was caught this way. all fish kept must be hooked in the mouth.

New rule? Never heard of that one.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I use to eat a lot of smallmouth and largemouth when I was a kid. They're very good. They should taste good since they're related to blugills or some other pan fish. They aren't even a true bass.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Obviously I wasn't cooking them properly! My wife has been bugging the snot out of me to bring home fish to cook. I'll have to give your recipe a shot.

It's not like there isn't enough to go around.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how that turned out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 19 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

Gut hooked and snagged are two different things. A gut hook is when the fish swallows the hook deep enough that it has to be cut off or the fish is badly injured.
A snag is when the fish is caught on the outside of the body and not in the mouth.

ah ok, not use to the lingo, was thinking it was hooked in the fin or belly, my bad, i can see now what he means by gut hook, when the hook is to far in the fishes mouth that it causes damage that the fish may not live afterwards,,, sorry, a blonde moment, even my husband laughed at me for posting that.

·
Registered
28,072 Posts
QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 20 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 19 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

ah ok, not use to the lingo, was thinking it was hooked in the fin or belly, my bad, i can see now what he means by gut hook, when the hook is to far in the fishes mouth that it causes damage that the fish may not live afterwards,,, sorry, a blonde moment, even my husband laughed at me for posting that.

LOL, don't worry, I have an occasional Blonde Moment here and there and my hair is dark brown

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I used to fish bass tournies. I thought it was only illegal to weigh a "foul-hooked" bass when you were sight fishing for them? But it has been a while, I could be incorrect.

It's against tournament rules to weigh a foul hooked fish, but against the law to keep a foul hooked fish to cut down on snaggers. I would not consider gut hooking, "foul hooked" because the fish took the lure with it's mouth, and therefore you caught it in the proper angling manner.

·
Registered
226 Posts
QUOTE(heimskr @ Jun 19 2009, 10:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Obviously I wasn't cooking them properly! My wife has been bugging the snot out of me to bring home fish to cook. I'll have to give your recipe a shot.

It's not like there isn't enough to go around.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how that turned out.
Try grilling them on a cedar plank, make sure you soak the plank in water for a few hours
before grilling. It is generaly accepeted to eat Bass in my book, I think that burning fuel, so you can
come home and eat a steak somehow doesnt make much sence... To each their own, I sure wont be telling any one what to do...

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 20 2009, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 20 2009, 12:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Big Dog @ Jun 19 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(DoubleDLadie @ Jun 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(Eric C. @ Jun 19 2009, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry John I was trying to get others to realize that "bass is no good to eat" is not true. Especially with the likelihood of people "gut-hooking" some fish this weekend they might as well try them if they never have before. I was truly surprised how good it was.

Eric C.

LOL, don't worry, I have an occasional Blonde Moment here and there and my hair is dark brown

Heck, I have blond moments and I'm balding

1 - 20 of 20 Posts