Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I bid on and won an auction for a hydraulic steering system yesterday. It was advertised as being "for a twin bravo application" and had "NO LEAKS, CORROSION, OR ANYTHING ELSE TO MENTION." The auction was mentioned on another boating site and I searched for the guys name and he seems to be well known and trustworthy. Well he sent an email saying he had some other parts for sale so I searched the classifieds for items he had and found a boat for sale a few months ago. It looked like most of the parts he was selling were coming off the boat. No problems so far. The I looked at a transom shot of the boat and it's got 12" standoff boxes that the drives are on. GRRRRrrrr.... This does not make it just "for a twin bravo application" and is most definitely something else to mention. I emailed him this morning and asked if it came from the boat with the standoff boxes and he finally replied around 4:00 that Yes, it was from that boat. What's your address so I can ship it??

I sent an email back that I wouldn't be able to use it since it was misrepresented in the ad. I haven't heard back from him yet, but does anyone know if I have any recourse??

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
You need to do some research on the ebay website. There is a way that buyers are protected from misrepresentation but I am not sure exactly who you would need to speak with about that issue.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
well if it is not exactly what he said it was,..i don't see how you are obligated to purchase it.

i mean it is "not" for standard bravos, as represented.

if he cannot understand this, and it starts to get ugly, maybe you can contact ebay, let them know of the vendors mis-representation?

that is why ebay scares me.

good luck bill ! i hope all works out well for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, and this guy isn't just some schmoe selling boat parts who wouldn't know if a boat had standoff boxes or not. He's a racer and sells a lot of performance parts. I figure he knows that probably less than 2% of all performance boats have extension boxes and that would have hurt the sale...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Dec 8 2003, 09:38 PM)Oh, and this guy isn't just some schmoe selling boat parts who wouldn't know if a boat had standoff boxes or not. He's a racer and sells a lot of performance parts. I figure he knows that probably less than 2% of all performance boats have extension boxes and that would have hurt the sale...
owe for sure bill !
i agree 110% with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ebay, retract bid

this rule seems to apply in your case:
*The description of an item you have bid on has changed significantly.

But....... this must be done within 12 hours of winning the bid so I am not sure if it will work now. You can always refuse to purchase the item, but you may be blocked from future purchases on Ebay because *the seller can report you*.

However, you could also look at this section:
Invalid bid retraction

good luck

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(TickTock @ Dec 8 2003, 10:49 PM)You can always refuse to purchase the item, but you may be blocked from future purchases on Ebay because *the seller can report you*.
Not on your first one. It takes three times of not paying for a winning bid to be banned. If you havent paid for the purchase yet you are in good shape. Most people on ebay care about the feed back so try and work it out with him. Make a copy of the listing and save it incase you dont work it out before it is deleated.

Good Luck

·
Registered
331 Posts
I agree with Tango. If the merchandise is not what it says it is, you are not obligated to pay for it. But , like they say you can get a bad bidder report and possibly be banned from bidding in the future. I think you do have to do it more than once to be banned though.

Rob

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I would retract the bid since its not as advertised.
Hopefully the guy is understanding if he didn't do it on purpose. If he gives you a hard time, then I would guess he tried to mislead on purpose.

I have had no probs on Ebay so far.. selling or buying.

·
Registered
487 Posts
There are many good responses here that you can follow. I would also make sure you're in contact with ebay to make sure you don't get nailed with negative feedback from this shmoe and ruin your buying reputation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts