Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - so say you find something and you bid on it.

Then a few hours before the auction ends you've been outbid. How do you know if it's not just a friend of the person listing the "thing" bidding on behalf of the listee just to try to jack the price up? I mean, if it's something you really want, you'll bid again and again and again.

I just don't trust ebay - but found something for Mini on here that I couldn't find anywhere else.

So, how does eBay know if a friend of the listee is not bidding on an item just to jack up the price of it or not? Or do they?

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
They're not supposed to do it, but ebay can't stop them.

What you usually have to do is wait until SECONDS before the auction ends and then enter your highest bid. That's what a lot of people do to help ensure they get the item.

·
12,052 Posts
The thing to do is download a free program called snipe-it. It will do the bidding for you at the last second. Never bid before that, it just raises the price. Have a price set in your mind your willing to go and once in ebay on the item, right click, a window comes up, click on snipe-it and enter your maximum amount. It will automatically bid the smallest anount necessary to win the item up to your limit. Can you tell I ebay much? Have fun.

At a search window just type in snipe-it.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 8 2003, 08:24 PM)The thing to do is download a free program called snipe-it. It will do the bidding for you at the last second. Never bid before that, it just raises the price. Have a price set in your mind your willing to go and once in ebay on the item, right click, a window comes up, click on snipe-it and enter your maximum amount. It will automatically bid the smallest anount necessary to win the item up to your limit. Can you tell I ebay much? Have fun.

At a search window just type in snipe-it.
The olny problem that you may have with this is that alot of ebay sellers will not honor a last second bid. I know people that drive there own price up with a second account but they sometimes get stuck with no one out bidding themselfs.

·
12,052 Posts
Why would they care WHEN the bid came in???? Only the end bid I would figure.

·
Registered
34,129 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 8 2003, 08:24 PM)At a search window just type in snipe-it.
Is it a software you download? All the sites I went to just asked for login name, password, item #, bid price, etc.

G

·
I've bid on two items on ebay. Each time I had my bid ready to submit in one window and the item page open in another hitting refresh every 5 seconds or so for the last minute and submitted the bid with 10 seconds left (cable modem). Last night I won one for a hydraulic steering system and it showed the bid was placed with 6 seconds to go. I beat another guy by 3 seconds and $25 and it was the only bid I placed. Obviously this can only work if you can be there when the auction ends, but it's worked for me twice now.

I've got issues with the last one, but I'll start a separate post on it...

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
QUOTE(Bill272 @ Dec 8 2003, 09:00 PM)Ive got issues
with the last one, but I'll start a separate post on it...
yes you do.......LOL !

never used ebay.........to cooky !

·
Registered
314 Posts
I've had at least a hundred transactions and have never had a problem. Like Tango said, who would bid against themselves knowing that they are just going to be stuck with the item and not sell it?

Just make up your mind ahead of time about the max you want to pay, and bid in the last few minutes. If someone else wants to pay more than they really wanted to, let em!!

Also, make sure to look at their feedback. I don't bid unless it's almost, or is, perfectly positive.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Like Hammer said, You can use a program that will automatically bid for you. All you have to do is set a max price you would pay for it. I'm think that Ebay has an auto bid program setup,not sure though.

Rob

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
yep, don't run the price up too early. No sense in a price war until the very end. If there is obviously only one person bidding I definately wait until the end. If you counter his/her bid early, they get an email notifying them that they have been outbid.. giving them time to get back in there and outbid you.. and they are reminded that someone else is interested. by waiting until the end I hope that they aren't at the computer or are not paying attention and won't have time to react.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
I've had a few hundred EBay transactions....Only a couple of problems. And, yes, wait til the end to bid and know your limit w/shipping costs included. Do some research and check the value of the item you want, too.

Check their user id history, read their feedbacks and the feedbacks they have left others.

I once bought a cell phone from a guy in CA for Rich....The auction stated brand, new phone in the box. The phone I recieved was used <_<
So I did some searching on the guy and figured out he had a couple of user names and friends that were scamming people for airline coupons.

What happened was he won the phone with his other username from a guy in Alaska. He must have not liked the used phone either and decided to auction it off to some sucker (me).....The stupid jerk used the same photos that the guy from Alaska did!!!!! I sent in all my info to EBay about him, his other id's and his friends.....They all got suspended for 90 days and he ended up getting booted for good. Only problem is they didn't suspend his other id, too <_<

Mess with me, I'll get ya! <_<

Happy bidding~

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
more tips..

ALWAYS look at the shipping costs. They can make or break a good deal.

and

always looks throught the sellers feedback and browse some of the items they have sold.

·
LSC Raft Moderator
1,472 Posts
QUOTE(hammer @ Dec 8 2003, 08:46 PM)Why would they care WHEN the bid came in???? Only the end bid I would figure.
Not sure why they care but they do. In some of the auction descriptions you will see "last second bids not honored. Bid early and bid often". This is there way to raise the price. I don't think ebay cares but some of the sellers do. With that said it is also the only way I bid on ebay. I will watch the item until there is only a min left then bid.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another little trick that I have discovered works well (along with last minute bidding) is to bid odd cents. For instance, if the highest bid for an item is $95.00, and you're willing to go as high as $125.00, make your bid $125.26. What will happen is that with e-Bay's automatic bid system (or proxy bid), it will only take enough of your money to make the next bid increment. If the current bid is $95.00, and the bid increment is $5.00, it will automatically bid $100.00 for you. If someone else bids $130.00, their bid will be rejected because of the $.26. If the bidding is done in the last few seconds, the other bidders catch fits trying to out bid you. This works really well with big ticket items. I bought a car this way.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
great tips guys - I have one more day left in the auction and just got an email that I've been outbid. So, I did nothing. I will ride this out until a few minutes prior to the auction ending and watch it like a hawk!

thanks again

1 - 20 of 20 Posts