Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all...goooooooooood morning vietna...LSCN!

first off, excuse my pieced together question. Its still early and I havent had my weedies yet LOL

I recently (FINALLY) got a trolling motor and I need some advice for wiring it to my battery. Its a Minn Kota transom mount. I bought it only in case my big motor dies (which happened 3 times last year). Only problem here, after re-doing my boat this past winter, I decided to put my accessory battery (fish finder & radio) under the drivers side console. The leading wires from the minnkota, however, are only 4 feet long and have spade connectors on the end. I dont keep the motor on the bracket all the time, I apply and remove @ the launch before/after fishing. How would I go about making a connection to the battery from the transom? Id like a quick connect of some kind at the back of the boat this way I can just put the motor on the bracket, connect the wires and be good to go. I dont wanna have to worry about long exposed wires hanging about and alligator clips abound. Anyone got any ideas? A plug of some sorts perhaps?

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Jay i know there are a lot of different types of connectors you can use myself i would hit home depot and just look. i know you will have no problem with it with all the work you got done on that nice boat of your's.

·
Premium Member
3,916 Posts
Well it's going to have to be some sort of compromise. You can either hardwired it where everything is enclosed and secure, or you're going to have some wires showing. My first thought was to splice the wires and make them long enough to attach to your battery in a normal fashion, but then my thought was to wire a plug back on the transom and then plug it in there; it's two wires and a plug.

And how often do you use your trolling motor? It is just for emergencies? If you use it regularly, or for any amount of time, I'd get a second battery, even a deep cycle so you're not hitting your starting/accessory battery.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
he has 2 battery's for his boat 1 that is for the main motor and 1 for just gauges and fish finder the one he want to hook to his TM is up under the steering console. myself i would run the wires and have a plug in for it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
go to home depot and get the 20amp 250v twist lock male and female and make your self up a cord and than nothing else will be able to plug into it and when not in use you can coil up the cord in the battery compartment since you remove the motor often.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
I have three batteries on recession proof. One for starting the outboard, One for running the trolling motor. and One for all the electronics. And that is what I would recommend due to the fact that you won't have to worry about killing the battery for trolling or the battery for my lights.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Ill prolly go with that twist lock idea...sounds like a plan. Yeah, I just use the elec. motor for emergencies and I plan on hookin it to my accessory battery under the console. The only thing runnin off it now is my Lowrance and radio/cd. I have a separate battery just for the main motor.

Bowtie...hows that recession proof boat of yours goin in the water nowdays? Havent heard any updates of it as of late

·
Banned
2,961 Posts
if your main motor has some kind of charger/alternator on it, i would run your electronics off of that one. and the twist locks are a good idea since no one will accidentally plug it into a household plug and fry something by accident if you used a normal plug. just make sure the male plug is on the device side and the female plug is on the power/battery side so the pins are not hot when not pluged in and short if they touch something.

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
QUOTE(Papa Smurf @ Jun 20 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>cool. Thanks for the advice guys. Ill prolly go with that twist lock idea...sounds like a plan. Yeah, I just use the elec. motor for emergencies and I plan on hookin it to my accessory battery under the console. The only thing runnin off it now is my Lowrance and radio/cd. I have a separate battery just for the main motor.

Bowtie...hows that recession proof boat of yours goin in the water nowdays? Havent heard any updates of it as of late
I am taking her out this week probably looking at wednesday if the weather stays good. I have been checking and triple checking everything on her and want to make sure when I get out there I don't get stranded.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts