Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have or ever tried an electric fillet knife such at the one that I found at the Bass Pro Shop listed below?????

American Angler® Ultra Electric Fillet Knife

This is the perfect knife for both fresh- and saltwater anglers. It's the first electric knife to ever fill all the needs for filleting fish. With a cooler operating, faster cutting blade, and less fatiguing comfort grip, filleting has never been easier. Comes with both an 8" fillet blade.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I used the Mister Twister electric fillet knife for about 3 or 4 years before it went out. It worked great for me but wasn't that much faster so I never replaced it. I only wish I could remember these kinds of items when I am drawing up the Christmas list!

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(fish tremble @ Jul 21 2003, 11:08 AM)I used the Mister Twister electric fillet knife for about 3 or 4 years before it went out. It worked great for me but wasn't that much faster so I never replaced it. I only wish I could remember these kinds of items when I am drawing up the Christmas list!
Exactly... The Old Christmas LIst...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I clean every fish I catch with an electric knife.
Nothing special though, just an old G/E Turkey crving one I stole from the kitchen. (Had to buy the wife a new one)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Electric Knifr is the only way to go. As mentioned above, any electric carving knife will do. My advice is to stay away from the 12 volt stuff. They usually don't have enough "guts" to get the job done. We burnt up a couple of them pretty quickly.
With practive you can clean a perch in less than 1 minute.
Down the gill plate to the backbone, flatten the blades and paralle the spine with a little down pressure and slice thru the ribs. Do remove the fillet conpletly, leave about 1/4", Flip the fillet to the skin side down. Skin it with the knife. Press flat against the skin, as you pull the carcass against the moving blades. Trim out the ribs, and then do the other side. I keep one hand clean on the knife and a kitchen glove on the fish holding hand.

Greg

·
Registered
790 Posts
I concur with the above on the use of electric fillet knives. I find it is certainly the very best way to clean all types of fish from perch to salmon. I have been using the Mister Twister Electric Fisherman and "burning them out" about one per year. I have switched to their Piranha Salt Water model and have found that it has a lot more power and speed. I will see how long it lasts. I have been using electric knives since the early 70's and have found that it takes about 22-25 seconds to complete a perch and about 35-40 seconds to complete a walleye. (skinned and ribs removed). I have made converts of several fishermen that I know.

·
Vendor
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the advice..

When you cut through the rib cage do you let the knife flow from the backbone to the belly or from the backbone and cut into the rib cage???

·
Registered
76 Posts
American Angler. Have been using mine for 2yrs. never any problems. If you get the 110volt model do not use it with an extension cord as this will cause the motor to overheat and burn out. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~><> AL

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The old turkey carving household electric knife I mentioned in my above post I have been using for over 6 years. I've seen my father burn out at least 5 of "fishing type" ones since then. Just spend the $35 or so for a regular one and you will never regret it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts