Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a first time electric fillet knife. Any one have any thoughts on a good model for perch, walleye and catfish?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Electric Mr. Twister. Don't get a cordless it heats up way too much. Mr. Twister is cheap and the best electric IMO.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I would get a few extra blades too when you do buy the knife. Ive had my electric knife for years and years but they dont make it or the blades anymore.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
agree with Canucks opinion. Don't get a rechargeable, besides the fact that they heat up, the batteries on mine eventually just wouldn't hold a charge and then just flat out died. They all seem to work pretty well, i am partial to the rapala ones just because about everywhere carries replacement blades for them. Although I have found out that most of the blades these days seem to be somewhat universal....

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jun 22 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>agree with Canucks opinion. Don't get a rechargeable, besides the fact that they heat up, the batteries on mine eventually just wouldn't hold a charge and then just flat out died. They all seem to work pretty well, i am partial to the rapala ones just because about everywhere carries replacement blades for them. Although I have found out that most of the blades these days seem to be somewhat universal....

I agree. I have the Rapala too with options for power. Comes with a cig lighter plug on it and the option of clips or 120v transformer. All in one carrying case with small and large blades. Even a cuttting board (too small though).

·
Registered
159 Posts
Electrics are great, makes very quick work of a limit if walleye. I have Mr twister also, but i think they are all pretty good.
Ive cleaned probably 70 fish with mine, and the blades do seem to be duling a bit. so get extra blades like Stick em said.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
I have the Rapala and it needs replacing every year. Not the blades....the whole damn thing goes bad.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
[quote name='makowish' date='Jun 22 2009, 10:57 AM' post='881422']
I have the Rapala and it needs replacing every year. Not the blades....the whole damn thing goes bad.
[/quo

Is it a rechargeable? You can't expect them to to last too long when you clean as many fish as you do in a year!

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(makowish @ Jun 22 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the Rapala and it needs replacing every year. Not the blades....the whole damn thing goes bad.

I have had mine going on 7 years, no problems. Maybe I need to start cleaning more fish? lol

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 22 2009, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jun 22 2009, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>agree with Canucks opinion. Don't get a rechargeable, besides the fact that they heat up, the batteries on mine eventually just wouldn't hold a charge and then just flat out died. They all seem to work pretty well, i am partial to the rapala ones just because about everywhere carries replacement blades for them. Although I have found out that most of the blades these days seem to be somewhat universal....

I agree. I have the Rapala too with options for power. Comes with a cig lighter plug on it and the option of clips or 120v transformer. All in one carrying case with small and large blades. Even a cuttting board (too small though).

Have had the same Rapala for two years. Love it. Makes for pretty quick work. When I used it for the first time, the results were similar to if I had used a chainsaw or dynamite, but after shredding a few fish, I got the hang of it and now I get fillets as good as with a regular knife in half the time.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(kayceedee @ Jun 22 2009, 11:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(makowish @ Jun 22 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is it a rechargeable? You can't expect them to to last too long when you clean as many fish as you do in a year!

No, it's the plug in. This year I went to fillet my walleye with it and the motor was running sloooooooooooow and struggled to move. Ended up just using my straight knife. Is there someplace to oil it or something?

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
QUOTE(Mini @ Jun 22 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(makowish @ Jun 22 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the Rapala and it needs replacing every year. Not the blades....the whole damn thing goes bad.

I have had mine going on 7 years, no problems. Maybe I need to start cleaning more fish? lol

Or just give it to me to keep the dust off

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have owned several different brands of electric knifes over the years. I currently own the Mister Twister Piranha saltwater version. They claim that it is 30% more powerful than the standard version and it has a bunch of stainless steel internal parts to prevent corrosion problems. Also, the blade that comes with the piranha is a different style and has stayed sharp much longer than the standard version but is incapable of being sharpened (the standard Mr. Twister blades can be sharpened). This is my fourth season with this knife which is the longest I have ever owned one. I usually get only 2-3 years out of them before they fail. I use my knife to fillet all the fish I keep from bluegill to walleye to salmon. I have cleaned 100s and 100s of fish with this knife so I would give it a thumbs up.

I have also had good luck with the $10 GE knife that you get at Walmart. When I first started cleaning fish with an electric knife in the 70s there were no electric "fillet" knifes so we used the GE with pretty good results (the switch tended to fail).

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Another vote for the Mr Twister. I`ve had mine for years, cleaned a ton of walleyes and have only had to replace the blades once. The blades are fairly inexpensive too. $6 or $7. A rechargable model would come in handy though at the fish cleaning stations located at some access sites, (Sterling on Erie) when electricity isn`t available.

·
Registered
446 Posts
QUOTE(Canuck @ Jun 22 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Electric Mr. Twister. Don't get a cordless it heats up way too much. Mr. Twister is cheap and the best electric IMO.

Ditto to what Mr. Canuck says, I've been using them for several years. They have nice flexible blades that let you get close to the bone.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I use a good old fixed handled knife. I butterfly all my filets in almost the same time it takes to butcher a filet with an electric knife.

·
Registered
262 Posts
QUOTE(Scubajay @ Jun 22 2009, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Also, the blade that comes with the piranha is a different style and has stayed sharp much longer than the standard version but is incapable of being sharpened (the standard Mr. Twister blades can be sharpened).

How do you sharpen the Mr Twister blades? I thought with those blades you had to buy new replacements when they dulled.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts