1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
My boat is a 1987 30 ft Thompson.
I still have points on my Motors.
I have twin 4 cylinder, iron dukes,
170 hp
Have points, anyone know where i can find electronic distributors?
(HAMMER ?)

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mini...
see you there..

·
12,052 Posts
I've gotton them from Ron at Dynamic Speed on Jefferson before.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Hammer,...
Will give him a call too, Mini hooked me up with a guy also, used to do the crusader engines, ha may have some too.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Excuse the unknowingness of the newbie here, but is it difficult to change over from points to electronic? Followed by, why would I want to? and can I? I have a 1988 Sea Ray 270 Sundancer with twin merc's, 5.7's, 260 hp each and carb's.

·
12,052 Posts
QUOTE(PyrateJim @ Feb 20 2003, 11:48 AM)Followed by, why would I want to?
No big reason...points or condensor fail....your stranded.

·
12,052 Posts
Just kidding. 1988 should be electronic, my 1987 was. It should say on a sticker on the motor somewhere.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Pull the distributor cap and look at the base to find out. You definitely want electronic because it's much more reliable that points. Points also need to be gapped (like a spark plug) From time to time and they also should be replaced as a regular maintenance item like a tune up.

·
Registered
18,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Feb 20 2003, 01:46 PM)Pull the distributor cap and look at the base to find out. You definitely want electronic because it's much more reliable that points. Points also need to be gapped (like a spark plug) From time to time and they also should be replaced as a regular maintenance item like a tune up.
Look at the distributor cap. It is easily visual.

Electronic Ignition on GM engines have HEI type distributor.
The caps are rather large looking, And the coil is inside the distributor.

Ponts are very basic, they have a smaller cap, and the coil is a another product, mounted near the cap, and has a wire like your plug wires connected to it for power.

Changing to Electronic Ignition will improve :
starting
performance
Fuel economy
Run smoother
NEVER NEED ADJUSTING
and what hammer said too

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(Fast~Eddie @ Feb 20 2003, 08:33 PM)QUOTE(JABBERJAWZ @ Feb 20 2003, 01:46 PM) Pull the distributor cap and look at the base to find out. You definitely want electronic because it's much more reliable that points. Points also need to be gapped (like a spark plug) From time to time and they also should be replaced as a regular maintenance item like a tune up.
Look at the distributor cap. It is easily visual.

Electronic Ignition on GM engines have HEI type distributor.
The caps are rather large looking, And the coil is inside the distributor.

Ponts are very basic, they have a smaller cap, and the coil is a another product, mounted near the cap, and has a wire like your plug wires connected to it for power.

Changing to Electronic Ignition will improve :
starting
performance
Fuel economy
Run smoother
NEVER NEED ADJUSTING
and what hammer said too
Eddie,
Well put. I was trying to type fats and say basically the same thing you did. Hopefully that will answer Pyrate's question.

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Thanks everyone for theinput. I am getting ready to do a complete tune-up before she goes back in the water (plugs will happen after she is restarted to burn off the fogging oil). I've printed out the topic and am heading to the marina in about an hour. I'll see if I can confirm.

Jim

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Stopped by Discount Marine in madison Hgts today and was told I have points and not electric. Hmmmm..........
Looks like I am going to have to wait until tune up time to pull the cap and see as I have deceided that its a Do-It-yourselfer job.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts