Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you have never been to this chain of lakes, you would do yourself a favor by going. This is one beautiful part of the country.

RE: the Federation tourneys this past weekend. Paul Grandsko and partner won the Saturday tournament. Scott Dobson and partner won on Sunday.

Torch Lake Marine did a great job of handling the tournament. They had staff that launched the boats and parked the trailers, then brought them to pick up the boats when the tournament was over. Doug and Paul, can we bring their staff to every Federation tournament?

Congratulations to Paul G. and Scott D. and all of those that fished. It was quite an experience. Weird weather, tornado watches, good fishing, spectacular scenery, what more can you ask for?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
How about all the beds I found to be full all weekend.....that was a bummer to locate over 50 beds on Elk and find most empty on Sat and near all of them empty on Sunday.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
What kind of weights? For the winners and those of you from the LSCN.net?

Sounds like a good time.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Saturday 19.22, Sunday right near 17. Big bass Sunday 5.4 something and 5.74 on Sunday.

Measly 12.9 pounds on Saturday for me and Don and one fish on Sunday......alot of empty beds....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hay Mini'''
Did you bring the tornado's up with you? John did do a good job, I had a great time and look foward to the next one
hope to do better in that one, if the weather warms elk should be hotter then a pankake this weekend for Mac
and the rest of the group, hope you can make it up,
maybee we can share a boat one of the days if you make it up.

bob.....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mike and I had 18.9 on Saturday and barely 4.0 on Sunday.

What tournament is this weekend on Elk? Where is it launching and and what time is weigh-in. I am thinking I might be back up there and might stop by.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Boatnfish'' Don't think there is one on elk this weekend .
Mac and a lot of the guys from the nitro board or comming up for some fun fishing this weekend ( if it don't snow)
ha ha ......bob

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Decisions Decisions......

Go to Elk and Torch for HUGE smallies on the full moon?

Stay home to scout St Clair for the opener...?

What to do, what to do....

Mini

·
Registered
154 Posts
I want to thank everyone that came up..It was great fun.Winning one was kind of nice ,,I owe it all to my partner .When he nailed the 5lb 3oz SWIMMER !!!.I want to thank Doug and his fantastic wife and Mini and Donnie along with John Peal the owner of The Marina and his staff for the great job..To have your truck in the water when you pull into the launch with someone there to snap the bow cleat then pull you out was neat..the pros dont get that kind of service..Hope to see you all at the next one...Paul Grandsko Classic series Chairman

·
Registered
440 Posts
Brian Spear and I weighed-in 14.54 on Saturday and 11.88 on Sunday.

Forgot to mention this earlier...we watched a couple of live bait fishermen, a kid about 10-12 years old and his father (assuming), reel in three whoppers from the same weedbed we were fishing. Michigan Federation Pres. Dennis Beltz scored some brownie points for the Federation by giving the kid a spinnerbait on behalf of the Federation for kicking the crap out of the Federation anglers nearby.

Fortunately, before those live bait guys caught everything, it started raining and they left.
Dennis said later that they showed them two fish in the cooler and one was well over four pounds and one was over three. They were very near our boat when they caught the whopper and it had to be approaching five pounds, if not more. Brian saw them release the last fish they caught, even though it was plenty big enough to keep.

While it was tough to see those guys catch the big 'un instead of us
, hopefully the experience will stay with the youngster until he is old enough to fish tournaments and remember the Federation in a positive light. Maybe he will defend us when he hears somebody trashing tournament anglers. Then again maybe he won't, but it can't hurt to leave him with a positive impression of the Federation and tournament anglers in general.

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Good story. Sounds like a fun trip.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
While some of these other guys were yo-yoing from hero to near zero 1 day to the next, Derek and I were the epitomies of consistency with 4 fish each day for 8.60 and 7.30. Talk about consistency!!!! We sure didn't want to 'burn' everything in one day. How else would we stay sharp in 20 degree temperature swings and 30 mph wind shifts and sun to pouring down rain?

I want to thank all the guys who didn't catch all the small keepers off the beds so we had a few left to catch. We did catch 2 keepers and lost 1 on Sunday off deeper breaks in Elk and Skeg since so many of the limited beds were empty and we calculated that it would take 3 successful beds to produce enough bass for next year. We skipped 3 beds (well, they weren't 14 inches anyway). :)

Those guys did do a great job at the ramp although it was a little scary watching them try to back up our big campin' rig. It took an average of 6 back-and-forths for them to get it lined up right each day, but being men, they made up all proud by refusing to let me or Derek line it up. Whowah!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Any why should they worry about backing down the camper trailer, it wasn't their's. Kind of like when you get a rental car for work.

Odd day it was, we never really poured where we were. We got rain, but now that bad.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts