Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
I can speak first person on this..... The Coast Guard will tow you in if you have a problem on the water and the boat won't run. There is "NO CHARGE", I repeat "NO CHARGE". Some examples are dead battery, out of gas, engine blown and just about anything else that can occur to leave us stranded.

I did just the above for the US COAST GUARD on Erie out of Cleveland for three years, and there is "NO CHARGES, I repeat "NO CHARGES" I also called a buddy officer before this post to make sure nothing has changed in the last few years, and it has not... I also had the Canadian Coast Guard tow me last fall off Erie, I was twelve miles out and they brought me in to "Erie Metro"!!!!!!! and there was no charge!!!!! this may not be common practice but they answered my distress call on channel 16 and helped me.....

The reason the Coast Guard won't leave a boat stranded empty is due to MAJOR liability,,,,, No battery no navigation lights, and picture speed boats and dark and a unmanned vessel............. LAWSUIT to who left it the Gov. can't practice this!!!!!

Last channel 16 is the international hailing and distress frequency monitored by the Coast Guard and the Sheriff also use 21 or 22 if not dire emergency and they can help us there.....

Now, if a boat is on fire and or sinking where a pump can't keep up the Coast Guard will remove you from the vessel and just take the stranded in due to their safety....

I hope we don't need the help!!!!!!!!!!

Nick Neves

·
Registered
873 Posts
Thanks a ton Dave for easing these guys mind, as I was actually in the Coast Guard and some still had the mindset to question my post........ Maybe they will listen to you!!!!

Nick Neves

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.