Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
While a cell phone is a good idea it should not be your only means of communication while on big water. You should also have a VHF radio and the training on how to operate it while on any of the Great Lakes.

As far as the phone numbers go, I personally dont have them. As I understand it the Coast Guard will not come tow you in, but they will (in an emergency) remove you from your vessel and get you back to shore. Your boat will have to be retrieved on your own. Charges are unknown to me, but I would assume them to be VERY expensive.

Your options in a tournament (if you want to weigh your fish) is to flag down another competitor to either carry you and your fish in, or tow you in. If a boat will not stop to offer assistance, they are in violation of the law and should be disqualified from the tournament. Even stopping to offer the use of a cell phone or radio is enough to help and is within the law.

For thise that have been here for a while there is a towing company that was offering tow service to anyone that needed it (once a day) for a flat rate for the year. I dont remember the specifics, but I know it was a good deal and great peace of mind. I will search for the thread so you can be prepared for next year OR get it now to finish out the rest of the season.

The link to the thread from the Fishing Board is here. Ckick away!

Mini

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I dont know how many people here actually clicked the link I provided but here is the core of the message from Michigan Marine Salvage (a board sponsor):

John,

It is not $59 per Tow, It is $59 plus a 1 time membership fee of $10, for a Total of $69 for a whole year!!!!

$69 for 1 year....this is an unbelievable price, and you won't find anything better on Lake St. Clair, I guarantee that!!!!!

By the way, you can start your season when you want to. Let's say you were gonna splash your boat May 15, well: when you call to buy your membership, you just tell us that you want it to start May 15th. So then your Towing Membership would be from May 15, 2003 to May 15, 2004....

You dont have to wait to purchase. Vessel Assist is a great Towing Assurance, especially if you only pay $69 for unlimited for 1 year!!!

Just remember to call us directly for the awesome deal, if you call the 800 number, they will charge you regular price. Our # is 586-468-2430

Amy

It says it will last for one calander year....so you will be covered all year next year (up to the date you call) if you call now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.