Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had problems since a tune up. shortly after that I filled up with gas at Mac N Rays.

1. the boat has stalled a few times usually at slow RPMS. yesterday just as I was backing out of my slip in the wind. that was fun. (not)

2. I don't seem to have all the power I used to. and a couple of times I have just had very little power... as in not enough to get on plain, and putz along at 10 knots with the throttle all the way forward. .. and then I can get it to work ok.

is it possible I have water in my tank? what is best way to remedy if so? My tank is almost empty now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds to me like you're not getting enough gas to the engine.
I would check your gas filter or filters. Also you could have sediment in your tank that may be blocking the fuel pick up. You also mentioned that you recently had a tune up. Did this problem start right after the tune up?If so maybe someting was not set right at that time. Do you have inboards or outboards? If you were to get bad gas at the marina that would mean everyone else who purchased gas at that marina would be having the same problem.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
When our fuel pick-up filter was plugged the boat ran fine at a idle but would bog while underway.

A friend of ours was having a similar problem with his boat and the guys replaced the condenser. Their boat has been running fine since....

Maybe you need to take it back in for your mechanic to look at if the problem was not there before hand.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a tuneup.. which included new cap, rotor, plugs, and fuel filter for my Mercruiser 5.7 LX.

I had them re-check the timing and everything looks good... and they say it sounds good. they even took it for a test run and no probs for them.
could be flakey fuel supply prob.. like blockage or filter I guess...

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
We did check all fuel filters, changed the separator and checked the float levels and they were all fine. What about your fuel pump?

If you need professional help my friend Bruce over at Miller's is great. PM me if you want his number.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, I will let you know if I need Bruce's services.

for now, I am going to go another round with the mechanic that originally worked on the boat, and explain to them the problems I had this weekend since they last checked it out.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Spacelord, I don't know all the details of your tune up but that motor might use the Thunderbolt electronic ignition. My last boat and my current boat (has a 5.7 LX too)both used that. With my last boat, it stalled at low RPM's and I found it was the sensor in the distributor. The previous owner never really ran the boat except to put in gas and do a pumpout. So the sensor was actually green with corrosion and wasn't working up to par. Something else to look at. Good luck.

·
12,052 Posts
Don't rule out the gas. MacRay's buys the cheapest brokered gas he can find. It is only 87 octane and over the years there have been dozens of boats with gas problems.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
I used MacNRays gas all last season and never had probs.
aren't MacNRays Amoco, Mobil or some big oil company?
I believe the pumps have the oil co. name on it..

also..
yes it is a Thunderbolt 5.7LX

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I assume you have one engine - if two and you have this problem with both, it's probably gas. With a single it could be bad gas or you could have a bad condensor. Ask your mecahnic to specifically check that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts