Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I am being forced to post this message AGAIN. Please, please, please try and think before you post something that may offend anyone on this board who may be visiting either for the first time or the 10,000th time. Too many people are starting threads that add little or no value to our beloved LSCN forums, and are starting to turn people off and turn people away from our site.

I am not going to call out anyone in particular, but from now on, post as yourself or don't post at all. We, the administrators of this site know when you are on and when you aren't. We see you when you are logged on anonymously, and we know who all of the aliases are. You cannot hide from us. We are watching you…always.

We ask that you refrain from creating and/or using alias accounts and remember that this is a public forum and that all members who visit here, do so looking for positive, constructive, stimulating and thought provoking discussion. Think about the newbies and the non-members who may be visiting our site for the first time because a friend or family member recommended it to them. The last thing we need people to see are posts that would offend them or make them feel uncomfortable.

When you post in our forums, please think of yourselves as ambassadors of our LSCN family. Let's continue to keep our site a place where people can come and enjoy themselves, not defend themselves from direct or indirect personal attacks.

Have fun, but please be considerate of your fellow LSCN members.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(mongo @ Oct 27 2003, 12:09 PM)Too many people are starting threads that add little or no value to our beloved LSCN forums, and are starting to turn people off and turn people away from our site.

remember that this is a public forum and that all members who visit here, do so looking for positive, constructive, stimulating and thought provoking discussion. Think about the newbies and the non-members who may be visiting our site for the first time because a friend or family member recommended it to them. The last thing we need people to see are posts that would offend them or make them feel uncomfortable.

Have fun, but please be considerate of your fellow LSCN members.
I agree Mongo. People that are lurking and want to join, may get turned away.

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Mongo, not to be nitpicky but I thought that the Boathouse was a place where the maybe less than thought-provoking ideas could be bandied about. I guess I just want clarification are we saying that we don't want any items posted that bring little or no value to the LSCN family? If that is so couldn't 90% of the threads in the Boathouse be deleted? I do not own a boat and was on the water 1 time this year however, I know for a fact that while I have a blast with my LSCN compadres that I think I give as well as get due to the fact that I support our sponsors "religiously" by attending sponsored activities or just going out on my own. I know for a fact that it is one of the reasons I eat at Jacks so often.

Are we just going to become strictly a boating themed group? Are we going to cater to the newbies and ignore the people who have supported this site all along? Not trying to start anything at all. Just want to know if the inevitable mindless banter is now unwelcome. Agree totally about the direct/indirect personal attack stuff. Just want clarification as your post seems to go a little deeper into the matter.

G

·
I love this site as much as I love boating. I think it is a great tool. Use this tool as an honest attempt, please. We have a core group of friends here that I think works well together. I think we have done so many great things together. If you think about it, the numbers are impressive and I hate to see it all waste away.

Please think about all the people reading before you post.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
To go along with what Mongo said, use the same respect and etiquette when using the Personal Messenger as well. Trying to anonymously send other members messages that could be interpreted as harassment, stalking, or a threat, will not be tolerated. This board is not as 'virtual' as many, in the respect that it wouldn't be hard for some wacko to find any of our members at a bar or a party, if they wanted to. So we all need to be conscious of that at all times. It's not a good idea to post your own phone number or personal information, and absolutely wrong to post OR PM somebody else's info, without their permission!

If you receive PM's that you feel are threatening or are just not comfortable with, please forward those to one of the Admins immediately.

·
Registered
741 Posts
It's a shame that some grown-ups need to be reminded of this type of info. Remember that this is a public forum and not anyones personal toy. I agree with all of the above comments and back them 100%. Keep in mind, someone is always watching you. Be cool about what you post and do!!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
The biggest frustration I find is the chit chat that goes on in a post that goes completely away from what was started. I have started threads for the offshore fun runs and it turns into a small talk conversation about nothing or I have seen a fishing thread turn into power loading debate. . There has been other threads that I have found interesting or informative and half way thru it turns to garbage, or where did you get drunk last night thread. If you want to chit chat start a chit chat thread or use the phone, leave the specific subjects to those that are interested. There is plenty of room on the board for all.

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Things have not change in the boathouse. Jokes and friendly discussion is fine! But keep in mind the following points from Mongo's post...

...try and think before you post something that may offend anyone on this board who may be visiting either for the first time or the 10,000th time.

...post as yourself or don't post at all.

...refrain from creating and/or using alias accounts

...Think about the newbies and the non-members who may be visiting our site for the first time because a friend or family member recommended it to them.

...Have fun, but please be considerate of your fellow LSCN members.

I don't think this is asking too much. Understand that this is a labor of love for the Captains and the moderators on this site. The sponsors help us pay for the software, hosting, programming, etc., but that does not cover the countless hours spent on developing and maintaining this site. When we have to babysit the site, that takes away from development time for the site, and personal time from our friends and families. It's just a big waste. Just think about your posts before hitting that post button, and it will help make all of our time here more enjoyable!

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
When I visit this board Im here looking for a positive, constructive, stimulating and thought provoking discussion.
Yeah and half the time its about poop, farts and a hole lot of sarcasm. Thats why theres over 1400 posts and 13000 hits in a thread about nothing.
Although there are alot of serious threads that shouldnt be messed with, the majority are humorous/hilarious threads that help 95% of you kill time at work... Exspecially in the off season when are boats are put away. So lighten up and dont take life so serious.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
QUOTEAggressortom Posted on Oct 27 2003, 12:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest frustration I find is the chit chat that goes on in a post that goes completely away from what was started

I totally agree, This is the only thing that really bugs me.

G

·
Thanks Mongo. I don't think it's a case where we have to be strictly a boating themed group. All are welcome here. The boathouse often has some questionable topics and posts, but lately there have been some where people are saying "no way does that belong on the board." I'm against censorship generally, but there are rules an conditions of posting on the board that gives us a very cool internet community to hang out in. The rules are pinned at the top of the forum page and pretty easy to understand. Everyone can and should police themselves based on the rules so that the moderators and Captn's don't have to do it. Just my opinion...

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(All Jacked Up @ Oct 27 2003, 12:10 PM)QUOTEAggressortom Posted on Oct 27 2003, 12:00 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest frustration I find is the chit chat that goes on in a post that goes completely away from what was started

I totally agree, This is the only thing that really bugs me.
I hear ya Bro!!! Sometimes Ill have a nice serious discussion going about Farts and Poo Poo and boom someone wants to mess it all up.......

Just messing with ya, I agree with the Topic Police completely, you may not beleive this but even I have a serious thread now and then and when it goes a stray, it does irritate me but I dont usually complain. There are enough sarcastic threads that the mischeif and humor can find a home with out irritating someones serious thread.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Now cant we all just get along?

THis is a great tool. One that I believe in, or I wouldnt spend thie time I do promoting it and using it. Met some great people here, have great friends that come here. Even sponsors....

I dont think we need to close all discussion, but staying on topic for the thread would help. At least when you see the index, you have some confidence that what you are opening is what you will want to read.

All that aside....time to go back to work.

Mini

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Oct 27 2003, 12:23 PM)Now cant we all just get along?

THis is a great tool. One that I believe in, or I wouldnt spend thie time I do promoting it and using it. Met some great people here, have great friends that come here. Even sponsors....

I dont think we need to close all discussion, but staying on topic for the thread would help. At least when you see the index, you have some confidence that what you are opening is what you will want to read.

Mini
Glad to see Splel Check joined the conversation. I agree with this part.

At least when you see the index, you have some confidence that what you are opening is what you will want to read.

If you go into a thread intitled C*CK BLOCKERS, or After throwing up the whities, I mean their are topics that are obviously going to be in poor taste or just filled with sarcasm and perhaps some immature humor . If you dont agree with a Topic or the discussion all you got to do is not read it.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
c*ck blockers must have gotten out of the way, because it is not in the forum anymore. that is good because it was blown way out of context for what was intended.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(CBJ @ Oct 27 2003, 12:37 PM)QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Oct 27 2003, 12:23 PM) Now cant we all just get along?

Mini
Glad to see Splel Check joined the conversation. I agree with this part.

At least when you see the index, you have some confidence that what you are opening is what you will want to read.

If you go into a thread intitled C*CK BLOCKERS, or After throwing up the whities, I mean their are topics that are obviously going to be in poor taste or just filled with sarcasm and perhaps some immature humor . If you dont agree with a Topic or the discussion all you got to do is not read it.
Exactly what I am talking about.....

Mini

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
QUOTE(traveler @ Oct 27 2003, 12:28 PM)Are we just going to become strictly a boating themed group? Are we going to cater to the newbies and ignore the people who have supported this site all along? Not trying to start anything at all. Just want to know if the inevitable mindless banter is now unwelcome. Agree totally about the direct/indirect personal attack stuff. Just want clarification as your post seems to go a little deeper into the matter.
the idea is not to become strictly boating themed--heck, most of the fun/funny stuff comes from non-boating topics, especially since it's now fall/winter.

it gets very disparaging to see posts trying to 'call someone out' because someone else is po'd for some lame misconstrued notion, or to start something for no reason other than to hurt. or when we moderate something, we get a whole tirade about freedom of speech, etc. it makes me embarrassed for that person, and embarrassed newbies and others have to read it/be exposed to it.

i have seen friends hurt from stuff on this board, and i have been hurt by some pm's that some people have sent me trying to egg me on or saying vulgar things to me without truly identifying themselves when i've asked, or even pming me under false pretenses. it hurts.

goofiness is great! but when you use fake silliness to try to harm reputations or for your own vindictive nature, then you've WAY crossed the line and have just devalued the board and anyone else's experience.

midless banter: still welcome.
hurtful vindictive kindergarten banter: bike rack, then suspension.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.