Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually, it was lots of walleye and my first steelie of the summer on erie.
Launched out of Sterling State Park again Sunday morning. Fished OH waters about 12 miles SE of the park. Pretty much the same area as last weekend. Program was mini discs and spoons about 26 foot down over 30 foot of water. Superman was the hot spoon and also took the steelie. Seemed like they wanted the baits a little faster, ran everything over 2 mph and up to 2.5 mph. Got our OH limit of 18 fish by about 3 pm. The steelie was one of the first fish we hit in the morning and there was no doubt what it was as soon as it hit. Took the bait hard and then was immediately airborn, stripping drag the whole way! A very pleasant surprise and got me pumped about hitting Erieau very soon. Lots of undersized fish this week. Threw back about 10 fish that were 14" or less, but I guess it is good that there is a good year class coming up for future years. If you are still looking to catch some walleye, I would say it is a good time to get after those fish. Walleye were being caught from 30 feet of water all the way into Brest Bay.

·
Premium Member
16,460 Posts
PICS!!!

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Yesssssssssssssssssir!!!!!!!! Sounds like a nice typical day on Erie lol God I can't wait to get into some Erie Steel this year!!!!! Congrats, thanks for the report!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that would get you going Rick! Mako, the wife took a couple of pics when we got home last night so I will see if she can get them to me today.

Oh yeah, not sure if they were out on LSC but there was a major hatch out on erie. The fishflies had definately went off the night before but there were clouds of those little gnat looking bugs. They were covering the boat, in your ears and nose and smeared everywhere over the boat! In the afternoon the wind picked up and blew most of them out but it was miserable while it lasted.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys should know by now that I am horrible when it comes to pictures. If my wife wasn't such a picture nut I most likely wouldn't have too many pictures...

this is the catch from yesterday.
Fish Seafood Fish supply Food Ray-finned fish

Same catch but my daughter wanted to get in the picture.
Boat Wheel Boat trailer Watercraft Vehicle

this is from last weekend, yes the daughter wanted in on this picture too!
Smile Shorts Plant Vertebrate Sky

TIP: When trolling, try to troll in a zig zag pattern. This speeds up and slows down the baits on either side of the boat as you make turns and will give you a better indicator of what speeds the fish want the baits at. This worked for us numerous times so far this year. Also don't be afraid to just stall the trolling motor for a few seconds, let the baits pause and then fire it back up again. This will often time trigger strikes as the baits just start to slow down and also when they take back off. Last weekend we took numerous fish using this technique.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I mated out there for 5 years. I you are out by the sister islands or anywhere over 18-22', freeline a magwart or any other wart and freeline it back nearly 20 bars to 25 bars if a bar is equivelant to 6' on your reels. The best day out there was 90 Walleye and 6 Steelies plus two released Skies, that was a morning trip The afternoon trip we took an additional 70 walleyes. Lake Erie trolling or meating seems better at 6 fish per man but the lbs of fish brought in by the commercial fishermen sucha s in Erieau is about 85%-15% in relation to us hook and line guys. If anyone is over is Erieau steelie fishing in the next month try to get over to the commercial vessels and check it out. If you want to see numbers of fish, it is absolutely incredible.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Jun 15 2009, 01:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's what these Perch get for trying to run with the big dogs hahah Nice pics and nice boat!

LOL, thanks Peks. I keep hoping to accidentally catch enough perch for a meal!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dumping Grounds or "b" Marker out of Toledo Beach / Luna Pier always produces perch. If you are fishing down rods with big discs off of the back of the boat and have a slow inside rod, whether fishing three or four rods, throw on a mini streak in a blueberry muffin, it will clean the perch up. Walleye should start picking up just south of Luna Pier in the next few weeks, The Swamp (600 yds off shore from Luna Pier and directly south for two miles - in front of three stacks) would always produce and all it would take is a down and up troll to produce a limit - size use to be 13" so now you might need to sort a little, but you need to be set up at day break. Troll the custom color crayfish by Rebel - only place i ever saw them was out of LPHC. The best colors were chartreuse side, pink claws, and brown back (transluscent) .

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(reel_crazy @ Jun 15 2009, 02:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Dumping Grounds or "b" Marker out of Toledo Beach / Luna Pier always produces perch. If you are fishing down rods with big discs off of the back of the boat and have a slow inside rod, whether fishing three or four rods, throw on a mini streak in a blueberry muffin, it will clean the perch up. Walleye should start picking up just south of Luna Pier in the next few weeks, The Swamp (600 yds off shore from Luna Pier and directly south for two miles - in front of three stacks) would always produce and all it would take is a down and up troll to produce a limit - size use to be 13" so now you might need to sort a little, but you need to be set up at day break. Troll the custom color crayfish by Rebel - only place i ever saw them was out of LPHC. The best colors were chartreuse side, pink claws, and brown back (transluscent) .

Great info! Thanks. That is one area that I have not fished. I fish out of Sterling quite often but usually fish out in front of there or out towards west sister. I also fish from the south shore quite often, south of west sister and over to Maumee Bay. In the fall over to Vermillion and Huron and of course Candian waters out of erieau and wheatley in tha late summer. How is the launch from over there and boat traffic? The reason I like Sterling is that it is closer to home, I drive from Brighton, launch is very nice with fish cleaning facilities, and no matter how many boats are launching it moves fairly quick. Last weekend the boats were waiting in line all the way back to the entrance but everyone shook down the boats while waiting in line and with the amount of ramps they have it moved pretty quick. Funny you mention that about the perch as that was almost the exact spoon we caught them on, but it was a scorpion instead. I just started running more scorpions this year as I have always just fished the standard size Stinger spoons and done well. The smaller spoons definately catch fish but they also catch alot of white bass and undersized walleye. Thanks for the tip on the crank, I think I may have something similar to that at home.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts