Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
wow that is a monster. If you hooked into that better have shark line on.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Apparently they netted one in the 60's on Lake Athabasca in Sask that was 102 pounds. It didn't have sex organs so it never spawned and just grew and grew. From people I've talked to that have seen the mount, they say it is really ugly and hardly even looks like a laker.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Aug 14 2009, 10:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry it was 84 lbs....I've been selling dozens and dozens of Bondy Baits to those lodges. Those fish get 80-120 ft deep in the summer and they jig for them, as well as troll.

I've been waiting to see a pic like this for a while now Jon. Sure is sweet seeing one hang from the lips of a Laker. When I heard you were disbursing them up North for the Lakers, it was like a duhhh moment for me...it's a perfect Spring, big Laker jigging bait.

That 84lber is a heffer though lol it doesn't even look healthy with that gut lol If i'm not mistaken, there have been 50inchers taken before, but just nothing with that weight on them...? Regardless, sick fish! Thx for sharing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
My cousin Tim got to reel in a 20 pound laker on our boat out of Sanilac a few years back. People say that lakers dont fight, but this was sure gave us a battle.

Lakers over 18 pounds are very rare for Lake Huron if you check the Master Angler records.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got this email from a client who took a Bondy Bait up north. This pic is from this past week. I have no idea what brought them to rig it like they did, but it worked.....crazy.

"Jon... This is from Scott Lake Lodge www.scottlakelodge.com They said they had seen them before but didn't fish them much. I left both of my lures there...all white...I think a burbot or whitefish color would kill them up there. We fished yours behind a 10oz weight on a tri-swivel..about 130 feet of water and trolled it real slow. He hit in on an inside turn. A true pig.. and a lot of fun. Go ahead and use the picture to market your bait if you like. 41.5 X 25.5 or 34-35 lbs."

Bill

Attachments

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure how well they would sell in the salt water world, because most people use live bait. That being said, I know a guy who has caught tarpon and barracuda on them....

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
That's why I think it might peak interest in someone, or a guide, that targets such a fish, like the Jew. Some of those guys need to get a few Bondy's and drop these baits down to these monsters and they might realize they can be saving a bait trip the prior evening or in the morning of. The bait would probably need a salt-water resistant do-over, but that is one fish that I believe highly relates to the purpose of this bait

I can definately see this being a decent Tarpon bait also..glad to hear about it being so versitle already!!! I still need to get some before the Fall Musky run so I can jig the breakwall this November lol never had time last year

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Should be OK for the salt. It is made from saltwater plastic and stainless wire. From talking to some of the charters,etc in FLA, it wouldn't last long anyways, cause a shark would eventually get it, or a reef would.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.