Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
I am trying to research a vessel that was built in Davis, North Carolina in or around 1960. It has no HIN, but does have a USCG Documention number. Anyone ever try to document a vessel with just this number? Can it be done?
I am calling the Coast Guard on monday to see what they can suggest but figured I would try here as well.

I am not considering buying her, but am working to get her listed on the National Register of Historic Places/Vessels.

Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
i am a member of the antique and classic boat society , michigan chapter.. what kind of a boat is it?
as i remember the coast guard used to document the vessel with their own numbering system.. i have a 1934 hackercraft that used to have the c. g. numbers.
i may be able to help you .. with some more info on the vessel!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Her USCG number is 283379 out of Miami, Fl. She was built in Davis or Davie, North Carolina in 1960, but we sustpect that it may be earlier. Here are some of her stat's:
LOA: 51'0"
LPP 45.8'
Beam: 15.4'
Draft: 5'
Depth: 4.6'
Displacement: est. 40,000 lbs.

She is made from molded FRP over carvel planked pline and is powered by twin 6 cyl. Detroit Deisels that are water cooled.

She started out as a deep sea fishing charter vessel in the Keys in early the 1960's and by 1964 was a privately ownerd salvage vessel running in Florida, Bahamian and Caribbean waters. Sheis privately owned at this time and is still working.

Thanks,
Jim

·
A.K.A. Yo Eleven!
405 Posts
Capt. Steven,

Whats the age a boat needs to obtain to be considered a classic or an antique? i have an older boat I have restored but its only 29. Is that considered an antique?

·
Registered
75 Posts
eleven
according to the antique and classic boat society,(acbs)

historic...a boat built before 1919

antique..a boat built between 1919 and 1942 inclusive

classic.. a boat built between1943 and 1968 inclusive

production contemporary.. a production wooden boat built between 1969 and present

custom contemporary.. a modified or one of a kind wooden boat built 1969 to present

replica.. a boat built in a non productive manner, intended to be one of a kind, and usually a copy or duplicate of a boat previously built or manufactured...

more info on that later

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(captstevo @ Feb 28 2004, 10:29 AM)jim do you know the make of the vessel,
i am working on it.. may take a lil time
Not off hand. It was a custom job if I recall right. Builder is unknown and I have a recent survey that shows her built in Davie, North Carolina, yet the USCG Documentation papers states she was built in Davis, North Carolina. Both places are on the east coast and have produced ships at one time. I am trying to find out which builders where around in both places in 1960 and before. There is also no known HIN on her.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts