Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Art Ferguson is leading after Day 1 of the Everstart Championship on Old Hickory.

He leads Clark Wendland by almost 2 pounds.

Kevin Vida was in 36th place and Dave Reault had one fish for 2.14 pounds. It sounds like the fishing is really tough down there.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
"The winner caught his limit using a 3/8-ounce black-and-blue rattleback jig with a blue Zoom Superchunk trailer. He pitched the jig around laydown logs and focused mainly on water less than 4 feet deep. His winning fishing spot? Well, Shaffer's not saying, but he did admit that it was "out on the main lake" and that he "fished pretty much the same area all week."

Wherever it was, the location was key for Shaffer Saturday. Interestingly, he found the spot by doing some reconnaissance at the Wal-Mart BFL Regional that was held here two weeks ago. After zeroing the first two days of that tournament, he followed the leader the third day out to the spot that would ultimately give him the EverStart Series Championship trophy."

What do you guys think of this? He followed someone to their spot and used if for a different tournament......I thought this was a championship? Is this the type of message that should be sent to the youth of the sport?

Mini

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
It doesn't suprise me one bit. How many guys do you think have followed Steve Clapper, David Reault, etc around? Just yesterday on St.Clair I had some clown get within 3 ft of my bouy and then saved it on his GPS right in front of me. I was only 20 yards away. The fact that these guys aren't even ashamed of how they find their fish is appalling. Of course the guys who are the most guilty of it always are the most defensive and say crap like, "So you think you own the lake?" For those of you who try to jusify it, you haven't got a clue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't particularly care for it. I'm sure the guy is a really good fisherman, but it sounds like he isn't ashamed about what he did. I know for a fact he's done it on Erie because he did it during a Michigan BFL when a friend of mine fished with him as a co-angler. They pulled up within casting distance of a certain Lake Erie legend and started fishing. He even bragged to his co-angler about how he knows where all the big names fish out there.

Winning the championship is a great accomplishment, but I guess some will do anything to win.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(DRP @ Nov 2 2003, 07:25 AM)It doesn't suprise me one bit. How many guys do you think have followed Steve Clapper, David Reault, etc around? Just yesterday on St.Clair I had some clown get within 3 ft of my bouy and then saved it on his GPS right in front of me. I was only 20 yards away. The fact that these guys aren't even ashamed of how they find their fish is appalling. Of course the guys who are the most guilty of it always are the most defensive and say crap like, "So you think you own the lake?" For those of you who try to jusify it, you haven't got a clue.
I was out yesterday too....on the north side crappie fishing...SLOW!

How did you guys do Jon?

Mini

PS All Star loved the crappie pics

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Ranger482 @ Nov 2 2003, 10:33 AM)I don't particularly care for it. I'm sure the guy is a really good fisherman,
I dont know him, I dont think I have ever fished against him.

I dont care for it either, BUT part of being a good fisherman is finding the fish. I just think, especially in a championship, you should find them on your own.

Mini

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
John,
What a beautiful day yesterday. My clients and I started out for walleye in the sturgeon hole but only managed 2 in two drifts. They were biting good there two days earlier.
We then went out to a few rock piles about 5 miles out and caught about 50 smallies. They were quite active for November. I lost one about 4 1/2lbs, but the rest were under that.
I guess we're getting close to wrapping it up for the year which really hurts.....I belong down south.
DRP

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree with you John. I just can't believe someone would just come out and say that's how he found his winning fish, especially with all of the recent controversy on Bassfan.com regarding "tailing".

·
Registered
83 Posts
No matter if it's FLW, BASS, TNT, ACTIVE, Everstart......it happens. The only thing different from this event is that the winner had the balls to admit it. In our northern tournaments, they just lie and deny it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
My feeling is he's $70,00 ahead. Do I agree with his fish-finding tactics? To me, it's just something you deal with-win,lose or draw. ALL of us fish against people doing anything in their power to win a tournament wheather it be local,regional or national. Can these guys look in the mirror and know they are the "real deal" or a joke? Trust me, they know. I'm trying to figure out what I could have done differently to change MY outcome-That is all that matters in the end.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well, I don't believe in tailing, following, pull up GPSing or any type of spot stealing. But, the fact of the matter is the guy still had to catch the fish! He still had to pick the right color, still had to pick the right bait, still had to cast to the right spot, etc....

What's so different about what he did then some big name pro coming paying to have a local pro show him spots? They do it all the time, is that right? I don't think so! I believe that when you make it to the top you should have earned it, not payed for it or learned your winning spot because your on the same pro staff or have the same endorsement as someone. Bass fishing isn't like golf where the low guy that makes the cut still gets a $20,000 check for the week. It's more like bowling where the top 5 guys get the big money and endorsements and most of the other guys are scratching and clawing to survive. When you have that type of atmosphere people are going to stretch the rules and do whatever they have to do to win.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with most here. I'm not saying it's the right thing, but I'll laugh at anyone who seems to think it isn't common in all of tournament fishing. What makes the difference if you follow someone physically, do it on the phone, buy GPS numbers, or find a hand me down GPS number that just seems to fall out of nowhere. Don't be shocked. The only difference is between those who admit it and those who lie about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts