Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like a pyramid gig to me. A modern amway. Has anybody heard about them before?? I went to a meeting last night and they really emphasized the pyramidial income idea without even mentioning what was being sold.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(jewels @ Jan 8 2004, 01:52 PM)
That's all I gotta say......run fast!

yea, that's what I pretty much thought. Aren't pyramids illegal?

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Well people like to use the word pyramid anytime they see something that doesn't fall in line with a "tradional" job. There are some businesses out there that are very much legal and ethical and follow a bonus/referral structure pattern. A pyramid is when first of all you have to pay a ridiculous amount to join let's say Anything that is "required" and used as a gimmick to get you to join let's say $600 and that money supposedly goes to the person that signed you up or referred you.

There can be a sign up fee let's say $30 bucks so that you get whatever paperwork is necessary. But really anything over that or if it's used to pay the person that refers you and so on forget it. Also, if you have to maintain inventory or products that's not a good thing, especially if you have to pay upfront.

There are some good ways to make money out there, you just need to do your research and get info. from relevant sources and DEFINITELY NOT THE INTERNET! People can say whatever they want on the internet I would not use that as reliable info.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
A friend of mine from church has been involved with Excel for several years now.
I don't know much about the business but I do know he bought a brand new $25,000 Ranger boat cash just from his Excel income. He wanted me to put my long distance service through them. I forget why I didn't go through him. These types of businesses work if you are the type of person to do it. There aren't too many people willing to put the time in to make a profit.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I went to a couple meeting a few years ago, and I still believe it is all bullpucky. There is no way I am going to make my living off a pyramid sceme and hope that when I tell 2 friends, then they'll tell 2 friends etc. That just is not the life for me. There is no prestige in that job.

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(jewels @ Jan 8 2004, 02:06 PM)A pyramid is when first of all you have to pay a ridiculous amount to join let's say Anything that is "required" and used as a gimmick to get you to join let's say $600 and that money supposedly goes to the person that signed you up or referred you.

There can be a sign up fee let's say $30 bucks so that you get whatever paperwork is necessary. But really anything over that or if it's used to pay the person that refers you and so on forget it.
that's exactly what it's like

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
QUOTE(Amelia @ Jan 8 2004, 02:29 PM)I went to a couple meeting a few years ago, and I still believe it is all bullpucky. There is no way I am going to make my living off a pyramid sceme and hope that when I tell 2 friends, then they'll tell 2 friends etc. That just is not the life for me. There is no prestige in that job.

I couldn't ask my friends and family to do that stuff. I'm totally with you Amelia. It doesn't seem honest to me at all.

QUOTE(JasonR @ Jan 8 2004, 02:29 PM)A friend of mine from church has been involved with Excel for several years now.
I don't know much about the business but I do know he bought a brand new $25,000 Ranger boat cash just from his Excel income. He wanted me to put my long distance service through them. I forget why I didn't go through him. These types of businesses work if you are the type of person to do it. There aren't too many people willing to put the time in to make a profit.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
From what I understand, a pyramid scheme which is illegal, doesn't actually have a product to sell. That is why it is illegal...many of these "multi level marketing" companies still have the business structure of a pyramid but have a product to sell...

If you work really hard at any of these companies (Excel, ACN, Primerica, Amway, etc) you can make money...but it is hard. They really emphasize you getting your friends and family to join, which makes it worse, especially since the failure rate is so high.
We were in ACN for a long time, and I made some decent cash out of it, but it was tough and I didn't get rich from it.....know many who have though..

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
You join.......And get two friends to join also.......................

Then they tell two friends......................

And so on ................

And so on...............

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
It never makes sense that you can pay a fee and suddenly become an expert in some field. In other words, I know Excel folks who want you to believe they are telecommunications gurus and I know that all they know is what Excel tells them!

The old A.L.Williams insurance company was a great example of this. They grew selling a perfectly legitimate idea - that a person would be better off buying term life insurance and investing in a mutual fund at the same time instead of buying whole life insurance. Generally, that's true. What they neglected to tell the unsuspecting customers turned salesmen was that their own term insurance was among the most expensive in the business and their own funds had the highest loads and some of the poorest returns.

Primerica is a similar deal - join us and you can advise people on their finances. No thanks.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I say Run Forrest Run on any MLM program. I have family and friends that have all lost countless friends, money, and time on diffrent MLM. Sure you might be able to make some cash if you work at it hard enough but if you put that much time, money and passion into anything it would make money.

Just my .02 and that's about all it's worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts