Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good reports coming from Gino's area. Bottom bouncer's and crawler harness's. Good news week..... Go get that good eaten. H2o.....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Skunked again ...Fishing by metro and ginos..Fishing crawler harness (chart) ..Fishing about 25 ft back drifting ..Cought a lot of sea bass (LOL)How far is your harness back from sinker ?Im setting it up 2ft back from sinker ,do I need to go farther ?Do I need to keep It above sea weed ?3rd season with boat , still no waleye
Bass diffrent story..Not giving up ...

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Best light We use the trolling motor and 4lb. fireline maybe 15 feet back. 4lb. fireline as a leader about 6 feet. Keep crawler as straight as possible. Hold pole with finger on line. Spinning reels. Just make contact with bottom pull the rod now and then. as lite a bouncer as you can get away with... good luck you'll get them. h2o

·
Registered
2 Posts
Agree with H2o, except I run back a good 75 feet, waters real shallow and fish spook to the side, longer line gives fish a chance move back. I use a small split shot about 3 feet in front of the harness, just enough weight to skip the top of the weeds. Vary boat speed also, if their on the feed I move quick, if conditions are tough a slow speed works best. Also, some days (like Friday) the fish will completely shut down because of incoming fronts and you'll be lucky to get 1 or 2. I also try and stay away from the main crowds of boats, seem do better as the boats move the fish around. Good luck all !

Scott

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(bestlight48312 @ May 25 2003, 08:47 PM)
Skunked again ...Fishing by metro and ginos..Fishing crawler harness (chart) ..Fishing about 25 ft back drifting ..Cought a lot of sea bass (LOL)How far is your harness back from sinker ?Im setting it up 2ft back from sinker ,do I need to go farther ?Do I need to keep It above sea weed ?3rd season with boat , still no waleye
Bass diffrent story..Not giving up ...
Ive had a row boat for two years and Im in my third year with a Tracker. Ive figured out how to catch just about everything on a reguler bases. BUT WALLEYE! I get'em here and there just never cleaned house.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Trolling is the ticket. I use either bottom bouncers or keel sinkers with just the harness attached at the end. They tend not to snag up on the lk st clair weeds as much as other sinkers. Also try different colors, many times the color does matter.

IMO, the walleyes are tougher to catch drifting than trolling. Trolling allows you to keep changing your speed until something works.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was out around the Gino's surf area yesterday (Monday). I brought home my first walleye of the season. It hit a blue and silver rapala. I didn't get even a perch hit my crawler harness! It seems that I need an 1 1/2 on my trolling motor dial, 1 wasn't quite fast enough, and 2 was too fast. Is there an easy way to estimate how big of a split shot to use? I'm used to using bottom bouncers, but I haven't caught many so I want to try something else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts