Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After meeting miller time at boat launch friday evening, and getting jealous of a couple of nice 'eyes that he boated, me and the admiral went out and drifted from huron pointe down to GP yacht club... Took us all but 3 hours. This is at night, mind you. Smallies, pearch, sheephead. Nothing super exciting. No sign of eyes, water got real rough, and it tooks us another 2 hours to get back to the boatlaunch... Naaaasty weather. Thank god for the GPS tho, otherwise we'd be in a whole bunch of poo. Dissapinted, cold, a little seasick we came home and passed out....

Saturday, went to a couple of bars... Woke up sunday just to realize that I lost my coded truck keys, and if that wasn;t bad enough, my boat keys were also lost. Extremely dissapointed at this point, i thought back to my high school days, when we got to hot wire a few things here and there and get away with it. Knoweledge is power as they say... I took an extra 3 way rocker switch that i had, cut the wires from the ignition, wired up the switch and 3 hours later, me and my mom (yeah, i take mommy fishing sometimes). We were out by bouy 26-29 and caught some minnow sized pearch (no joke), and a couple of nice perchies. But to my surpries I also managed to hit 3 Jumbo walleyes, and every time I hit them, the boat was going up and down a few feet because of the wake from passing freighters... Which leads me to believe that I am a moron and not doing something right here. Do you just let the crawler harness hang off the boat and let just enough line out so it doesn't touch the ground? Because Up untill now i let out at least 20+ yards of line and drift.... Who can give me a very accurate description of walleye technique here?
P.S. The lake looked beautiful last night!

Thanks boys,

Good fishin'

Beermaster

·
Registered
3 Posts
My guess would be that when you rocked up and down your spinners were picking up speed on the way up and slowing down on the down. So if you were getting the wallers like that you should of tryed lifting the tip of your rod slowly then dropping slowly to get that action that you would get when that wave passed. Another thing I noticed fishing in river, and i am not sure about the lake but when freighters go bye u normally get fish. I think it is something about the water displacement they put off, or something. But as how much line to let out, i don't really think it matters as long as your getting just over the weeds. You never know though they could of just been wanting more action on the spinner but theirs my guess's hope its helpfull someway

·
Registered
187 Posts
You need to keep the blades moving... Doesn't matter if its vertical (jiggingor in your case wake) or horizontal (trolling), sometime fast sometime slow, but always moving. Don't forget to get the cheeks...

·
Registered
38 Posts
nice fish, it would be so nice to get some eater like that, but so far this year I've only caught one eye
. And by the way when we go up in the river to whip for walleye we always caught fish when the freighters go by, almost never failed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
very good, you're learning. like i said if i can do it anyone can! you didn't mention, what color blades (spinners) were you using when you got the eyes? posting the pics. to backup your fish story was a great touch.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angler Mom... I've also caught only one eye before this, until someone told me to add a couple of small split shots on my line and someone else (mr miller) told me to try a different spot. That made a world of difference! And of course i had to post those pics lol. Otherwise Jerry would never believe me!!!! (Thanks pal)

·
Registered
38 Posts
It really has nothing to do with my ability to catch fish, I've got tackle boxes upon tackle boxes full of tackle and I know how to use them all. I just can't get out on the water like I use to

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awwww. I am sorry to hear that Angler ma. I know first hand the horror of not being able to go out and fish. I was boatless for almost a month after some pimply little punk at boats US sold me a wrong set of spark plugs which in turned cooked the head gasket and my valves due to inaudible detonation. Yyyeah. So i feel ya girl!

And in terms of what i was using for those eyes... 3 Harnesses with 3 different spoons on 'em, one yellow/greenish one white and pinkish and another one just plain old yellow.

16 lbs test line... Is that way too thick by the way?

·
Registered
47 Posts
WOW!! 16lb. test... you could catch a shark with that. 8lb. is plenty. i've landed large musky on 6 to 8lb. on worm harnesses made with 20lb. try to use the lightest tackle you can. and a pole with a real flexable tip so you can feel the smallest tap on the line. beermaster, check out "boating" board under "? for radio man".

·
Registered
230 Posts
16lb test is pretty heavy for that kind of fishing. Iwould recommend no more than half of that. Most people I know use 6-8. I use 8. Some people use 4lb fireline too. It is thin but strong. The only bad thing abour 6-8lb is that if u get a muskie (which have hit a lot on crawler harnesses) it can be tough to bring them in, but still possible as Millertime pointed out. You can miss light hits with too heavy of line. By the way. Were u fishing in the channel, or off to the side? Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
how the drag is set on the reel is very important and always hold the rod tip up. that's the way you land large fish without light line letting go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts