Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May-flies in Dutch are called "One Day Flies". The adults live for a short period of time only: they mate, the female deposits her eggs in the water and they die. Adults do not even eat or drink during their short life. May-flies are very primitive insects that have been flying around for millions and millions of years. Attached to the backside of their bodies are always two or three very long hairs or wires. The larvae, called nymphs, live in water. All species look alike and it is almost impossible to distinguish between them when your're not an expert. Fish love a Mayfly. The animals are therefore imitated.The imitation is used for fly fishing, trout fishing is best. Ovoviviparous means that normal insect eggs are produced, but not deposited. The eggs are kept inside the body, also during hatching. The young then leave the body of the mother alive.There are not many animals that do this trick. Some spiders and sharks give biirth that way. h2o

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The larvae are also nicknamed "wigglers" and are a fantastic ice fishing bait for perch and panfish.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
That all sounds right except the part about the young being live-born from their mothers - it's my understanding that the females fly over the water and drop their eggs where they settle to the bottom and eventually hatch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I remember 2 years ago, when we were going to Harsen's Island, we hit a patch of them while driving and it made the car slip like we were driving on ice.

·
Registered
8,246 Posts
QUOTE(h2o @ Jun 19 2003, 10:47 AM) May-flies in Dutch are called "One Day Flies". The adults live for a short period of time only: they mate, the female deposits her eggs in the water and they die. Adults do not even eat or drink during their short life. May-flies are very primitive insects that have been flying around for millions and millions of years. Attached to the backside of their bodies are always two or three very long hairs or wires. The larvae, called nymphs, live in water. All species look alike and it is almost impossible to distinguish between them when your're not an expert. Fish love a Mayfly. The animals are therefore imitated.The imitation is used for fly fishing, trout fishing is best. Ovoviviparous means that normal insect eggs are produced, but not deposited. The eggs are kept inside the body, also during hatching. The young then leave the body of the mother alive.There are not many animals that do this trick. Some spiders and sharks give biirth that way. h2o
If the adults live for only a short period of time, dont even have time to eat, why do they have time to bite my ankles.

Fish flies burn as well. No joke they lite right up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I love the Fish Fly Festival and all the great food there like the famous Fish Fly Salad Sandwiches, and the Fish Fly soup, and Fish Fly Pie, and Fish Fly jerky. Mmmm...mmmm.....I can hardly wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts