Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a father son weekend trip and I am looking for suggestions. I was thinking of Pelee Island but I am not sure about the Canadain waters thing and the distance. (leaving from MacRay Harbor) I know we do not want to go to Ceder Point. Any suggestions and advice on the Canada issue?

G

·
I've never been to Pelee Island, but I can say I've never had a problem going to Canada. Every marina will have a phone to call into customs. Just make sure you call when you arrive and declare all of your alcohol and don't bring weapons. It's probably a good idea to take birth certificates too.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Phaque:

As a token Canadian on the board, Pelee Island is a pretty relaxing trip. You can call to the Canadian Border Services Agency (think Homeland Security Agency,without the guns or budget) in from the marina. Information about the prgramme can be found here.

There isn't a whole lot to do on the island itself for a thirteen year old, but maybe that's the whole point of your roadtrip. You can snag travel information here I'm pretty sure that Dick's Marina (on the south end of the island) has the only fuel dock on the island.

Have fun.

Scott.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I spent my summers at my parent's cottage in Leamington, Ont (Due north of Pelee) The island is pretty boring for a 13 year old. Leamington on the other hand isn't much further, has a nice marina, and depending on when you go there are sometimes a few events going on in the town.

Tomato festival is some time in Aug, I think the same weekend as dream cruise, there is a car show in the park (and a huge beer tent, again not so good for a 13 year old)

Leamington is about a hour from the mouth of the river.

·
Registered
355 Posts
POINTE PELEE ALSO HAS THE MONARCH BUTTERFLY MIGRATION. IT IS THE HIGHEST POINT OF NORTH AMERICA OR SOMETHING ALONG THOSE LINES...THE MONARCH'S GATHER THERE BEFORE HEADING TO MEXICO FOR THE WINTER THIS DURING THE END OF AUGUST.

·
Registered
19,233 Posts
The fact that you are planning a special weekend with your son is what he's going to remember......Enjoy...He will

I love Monarchs.....need to make that special trip with my girls, too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all - The info was helpful. I agree with Three Crabs, we will enjoy the trip no matter what we do

1 - 7 of 7 Posts