Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite lure would be a #3 Mepps Rainbow plain. Now come on let's here at least one of your favorite lures.

I like the #3 Mepps because you can really cast it far on light line and big and smaller fish hit it. I know the lure makes a sonic sound as it come's back to the boat. I've on a perfectly still evening ever so quite out pulled the lure along side the boat with the fishing pole, the sound I heard was a sonic sound in nature, it has to be heard , you can't explain it.. But that's why i think the lure is so effective. Fish are attracted to it. It's a search lure. I works wonder's for me.... h2o

·
Registered
666 Posts
My favorite has to be the giant Caddis fly. Heading up the river at 9:00 pm to start drifting back down after dark till midnight or so. Take a couple fly rods because once I get one screwed up, it is done. Can’t turn on a light or you have just messed up the feeding for long time. You can’t tell the size of the fish hooked till you net it at the boat. That little slurp just doesn’t give away the size at all.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh i forgot to mention the Mepp's is a aglia.. h2o

·
Registered
175 Posts
My favorite lure is either a 3/8 ounce Terminator with double willows in chartruese and white...or a pearl Zoom Fluke...

I like the Terminator because when I burn it, bass just kill them...its just good fun...a spinnerbait is also a good search lure.

The fluke is just awesome...Its also a fun bait to fish...my favorite ways to fish them is by twitching them just under the surface...and deadsticking...

These are my favorites because they are fun to fish and most of all...they catch fish...I have tons of confidence in these lures...

God bless,
Jose

Furnace Bay Rods
www.furnacebayrods.com

·
Registered
467 Posts
I gotta say topwater when the bite is on...Pop-R, Zara, etc. Gotta love a good topwater bite...

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm with you Jose,

Chartuese and white spinnerbaits absolutely ROCK and Terminator makes the best!!!! I keep 3/8 and 1/2 oz tied on permanently. I use them with a Zoom twin tail trailer and trailer hook.

That's all we threw in Anchor Bay this weekend and we just cleaned up. We caught everything...LM, SM, Pike, Musky and even a nasty old Dog Fish.

Marke

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have 2 favorite lures that are also my "go to" baits when the bite gets tough.

1/4oz strike king spinnerbait silver/gold double willow leaf blades, white/chartruese skirt.

4" ringworm - redbug (red w/ green fleck) texas rigged.

Those two baits always produce in a tough bite.

Scott

·
Registered
175 Posts
Chartrues/White is a great all around color...if I were to keep it strictly to St. Clair though and the Great Lakes....I think i'd go with ALL chartruese...skirt, head, and both blades...somethin about that color...smallies love it...

God bless,
Jose

Furnace Bay Rods
www.furnacebayrods.com

·
Registered
927 Posts
the terminator spinnerbait is also one of my favorites. i usually throw a 1/2oz on lsc and mostly throw white,but i will throw a white chartreuse on occasion.

i would have to go with a smithwick rogue for my other favorite. suspending in the spring, floating in late spring and summer. i have caught so many of my big fish using this bait. i always have one tied on. i like the silver/blk back/orange belly on a sunny day, the gold/blk back/orange belly on a partly sunny day, and the chart/purple back on a really over cast day.

its hard to pick favorites aint it?!?!

madman himself

·
LSCN Sponsor
2,482 Posts
Now if I told you it wouldn't be a secret would it? My favorite bait for largies is a 7" tequilla sunrise power worm. I have not found a lake yet where it doesn't work. My favorite smallie bait is a ........ (I'm not giving in that easy!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
My go to bait when the bite is tough is a Senko but my two favorite ways to catch bass is on 1) a Red River F5 spinnerbait and 2) a topwater bait such as a Pop-r or Sara Spook.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I have loved Rapalas since I first mailed away for one in about 1965 and raked the smallmouths with it!

Favorite all-around Rapala is a floating model 11S, black back with silver sides and white bottom. All sizes of fish will hit it.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
If god said to me one day "my son you may have but one lure to fish with", I would ask for a ball head jig with a power grub. If he said two lures, my second would also be a Mepps, but the #5 aglia in silver. Good post H2o this is getting interesting.

·
Registered
236 Posts
For LSC, I like Rattle Traps, 1/2 oz and up, Super Shad Raps (thanks to Bob Brunner), and for slow work a texas-rigged 3-4 inch spider-style double twister tail in pearl. I like spinnerbaits, esp Rad Dogs from Minn, and inline bucktails early in the season and around, over, and through the weeds anytime.

For fly fishing, if anyone's interested, I like wooly buggers, strip leeches, zoo cougars, and recently clouser minnows. Night fishing on rivers, I only use muddlers, either plain or yellow marabou (except for the hex and brown drake periods). I tie my own except when I have the chance to buy Bob Smock's drakes in Grayling. His are absolutely the best anywhere.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Okay, if it has to be bass, then the Rapala Fat Rap has to be my favorite with 3/4 oz traps just behind.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Tubes are great baits, but can be boring to fish. I use a ton of them, but would prefer somehting else if it would work as well.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.