Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Next weekend (June 7,8) the Michigan B.A.S.S. Chapter Federation is conducting two tournaments at the chain of lakes named above. Are you planning on fishing these tournaments? If not, why not?

These two tournaments are part of the MI Federation's Classic Series. The top prize going to the team that wins the Classic Series Championship is a Ranger 519 bass boat and a Merc 200hp motor.

I'm just trying to get some feedback regarding this tournament circuit. Whaddaya think?

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I will be there on the water and on the stage again as weigh master/bump dude. Come on out and experience some of the best smallmouth fishing in the most beautiful part of the country.

Mini

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am not fishing it. This year I am fishing the BFL and two of the N. Everstart tournaments. I have not fished any of the Federation tournaments but may consider them in the future.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Mini,
You're not on the list...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I will be there as well. This weekend for a club tournament on Charlevoix and Walloon. Then well, not sure, but probably stick around rather than driving home.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Mini doesn't need to be on any list! You know you have made it when you don't even need to be on the list, you're just welcomed with open arms. LOL

·
Registered
666 Posts
Open Wallets, we want the $$$$$$$, nothing more. It is quick and easy.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I don't know whether to be concerned about some kind of collusion or tell you two to get a room

Doug, what about left over hotdogs being there from your other tournaments??? It will be freezing cold and hard work pushing our boats across the ice up there (can you dropshot through the ice?). We will be hungry!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dan, I know you must be speaking of the other Doug an dhot dog's. I have my spud ready just in case. Actually spoke with people in Houghton (U.P.) today, and their weahter has been better than ours down here. Hopefully we can meet in the middle somewhere at Eld/Todrch

·
Registered
718 Posts
Dan,

If it were up to me we would have the hotdogs but, (Shrug of my shoulders) It's not in my hands.

Now Dan, don't even get me going about us getting a room. You forget, I've been around for many a year and I slightly remember a few things from the past...the campgound in Bay City, need I bring up things when YOU were young?????LOL What am I thinking, you haven't changed since the 80's. LOL

Doug

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, let me add this...

Six tournaments in THREE weekends--a chance at a Ranger 519 with a 200 hp Mercury motor. Why not take a shot?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was at Charleviox on saturday and Walloon on sunday Big winds on sat, but many fish caught.sunday was the fishermans dream 65 degrees and smallmouth every where you looked..Should be perfect fot elk torch..I few guys stayed up there, I had to make the drive back"this work thing is a pain".Be up there tommrow..DOUG bring the dogs I will take care of it..I will be at the torch river resort tuesday nite..If any one needs help or information call me on my cell..419 356 1648. Thanks for your support..Paul Grandsko Classic series Chairman.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doug (and Federation board members),

Had a thought regarding the hot dogs...

How about selling them for a buck apiece with the proceeds going to the Scholarship Fund?

Here are some reasons why this is a good thing...

1) Raises money for education

2) Turns an expense in to an asset

3) Since it's not an expense, there can be no squabbling about who gets what or how many

4) Promotes the Federation as an organization that raises money for kids

5) Makes it harder for locals to grouse about the tournament being at "their" ramp and catching "their" fish. After all, we're raising money for kids, potentially their kids.

6) At a buck it's still a bargain. At Comerica Park, Ball Park Franks are $2.75 and kosher dogs are $4.00.

What are your thoughts regarding this matter?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Great idea Mark but not possible. The reason is once we accept money for food as it is prepared we now get into a vendors license and inspections by the Health Department. This is from past experiences.

Another reason is where do we find the volunteers to set up, work the area, purchase the food and tear down.

It works with my trail as we have my Parents and the Greene family assist us. Our membership fee is to help alleviate the expences of ramp permit fees, plaques for the Elite angler and frames/ certificates for the other trails, fuel and web fees. The food is a bonus as the membership fee really doesn't cover 1/2 of the fees we occur as operating as a business.

I wish a club or group would be willing to this for the federation. The entry fees could be raised, with the knowledge that before anyone gets a check it goes to a fund for whatever the anglers want. Then they pay out expences. This would eliminate the need for vendors license and Health inspectors.

Doug

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I thought about the Health Dept. aspect. I thought that by saying the $1.00 is a voluntary donation that the Dept. could be side-stepped. Or...one could buy a raffle ticket that is good for a sponsor product drawing, which also happens to come with a hot dog,

I wonder if there is a lawyer who participates on this board that would comment on this issue.

On the other hand, the logistical side may be the bigger problem. We would need somebody to fire up a grill and heat up the snout sticks. It is a little late in the game to get this started, at least for this weekend.

Maybe at some point in the future we can try to line this up.

I just saw Paul's post about bringing the dogs and taking care of it later. I don't think this should be a part of the Classic Series expense. Apparently, this won't be an issue though, right? It doesn't sound like you will be bringing the dogs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts