Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed this snipped in Chuck Brockman's article;

According to Chapman's Boating Etiquette, fenders, too frequently called bumpers, are simple and useful devices, yet they are so often sloppily used that they have become a mark of poor nautical etiquette all by themselves.

The rule for fenders is, when a boat is under way, she should never be seen with fenders over the side. At no time should a shoreside onlooker see a boat under way with fenders adangle. When the vessel is dockside, naturally she will use all fenders necessary.

I have only heard one boater call them fenders, and he got laughed at for it!!

What do you call them?

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
doesn't matter to me... i throw them over board anyways.

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
Actually, fender is the proper term...

That's what I was taught

Main Entry: fend·er
Pronunciation: 'fen-d&r
Function: noun
Date: 13th century
: a device that protects: as a (1) : a cushion (as foam rubber or a wood float) between a boat and a dock or between two boats that lessens shock and prevents chafing (2) : a pile or a row or cluster of piles placed to protect a dock or bridge pier from damage by ships or floating objects b : RAILING c : a device in front of locomotives and streetcars to lessen injury to animals or pedestrians in case of collision d : a guard over the wheel of a motor vehicle e : a low metal frame or a screen before an open fireplace f : an oblong or triangular shield of leather attached to the stirrup leather of a saddle to protect a rider's legs
- fend·ered /-d&rd/ adjective
- fend·er·less adjective

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have always called them fenders.

·
Registered
11,681 Posts
damnyankee! i can so hear you saying that!!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I have always called them fenders as well.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when people do not bring there own out. We have lost so many from people using our spares and not giving them back.
If you do not have any on board, please stay away from other boats!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
They are called Fenders is they are removed while the boat is underway and Bumpers if they are always in a fixed location even while the boat is underway...

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
QUOTE(beachbum @ Sep 25 2003, 03:48 PM)you say bumpers I say fenders...depends how many soda's I've had...then there all bumpers

soda?? i say pop ,,, and bumpers.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
They are fenders and I saw the same article today....it also mentioned Jabber Jaws as the boat of the week!

"The Silent Auction held at Jack's Restaurant on the Nautical Mile for SOS Channel Lights Tuesday evening was a huge success for the all volunteer group ... Bayview Yacht Club North Channel Race, Sept. 27, 0700-2400 ... The Coast Guard is proposing to add lights to Les Cheneaux Middle Entrance buoys B5 and B10 ... Special Olympics Dinner on Sept. 27 and Craft Show on the 28th at the Idle Hour Yacht Club ... Sept. 26-28 Polish Festival/Frostbite for the Grosse Pointe Woods Boat Club at Metro Beach ... Boati

ng Safety Class by the U.S. Coast Guard Aux. Oct. 2, Call Dave at (248) 652-6381 for information ... Oktoberfest at Idle Hour Yacht Club Oct. 4 call (586) 468-6641 for reservations ... Feature boat name of the week is Jabber Jaws. Others seen recently: O' Babe, Sane Asylem, Ain't Misbehaven, Wild Wild West, Pop's Post, Stocks and Blondes, Pressure Regulator, Docked Wages, Plumb Crazy III, Assorted Nuts, Boyle-n-Water II, Johnny B Good and Fallen Angel."

Mini

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Fenders, though people often say something about how formal I am when I use fenders instead of bumpers. I suppose these same people have a front and back and right and left to their boats. Probably use ropes to tie it up and have a bathroom too!

·
Registered
9,003 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Sep 26 2003, 08:13 AM)suppose these same people have a front and back and right and left to their boats. Probably use ropes to tie it up and have a bathroom too!

But I have the fenders right!

·
Registered
6,590 Posts
QUOTE(Milord @ Sep 26 2003, 08:13 AM)Fenders, though people often say something about how formal I am when I use fenders instead of bumpers. I suppose these same people have a front and back and right and left to their boats. Probably use ropes to tie it up and have a bathroom too!

doesn't beat the time one of Amy's friends called the cabin the "basement"

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
What's in a name? I sometimes say bumpers, then correct myself and say "err, I mean fenders", and then feel like a dork for even subconciously caring that the popular term doesn't seem appropriate. If everyone starts calling them bumpers, that's OK with me. Why must it be fenders? Because a bunch of guys who like to dress in smart white uniforms and form glorified drinking clubs insist on it?

If you pride yourself on being a stickler for nautical terminology, read Richard Henry Dana's classic true-life tale "Two Years Before the Mast" about the trading business along the California coast in the 1830's. I defy anyone to read entire paragraphs and understand what he's refering to without the aid of a nautical dictionary. We just don't use the seaman's language anymore and if we today choose to rename an item we certainly can.

And I don't care if you go below or fore or aft or hang over the gunwale amidships, either. Just have fun, be courteous, and be safe.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
How about when someone wants to tie up to your boat and they only have these 3 inch "fenders"....what are those even for?

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
QUOTE(John Maniaci @ Sep 26 2003, 12:05 AM)They are fenders and I saw the same article today....it also mentioned Jabber Jaws as the boat of the week!

"The Silent Auction held at Jack's Restaurant on the Nautical Mile for SOS Channel Lights Tuesday evening was a huge success for the all volunteer group ... Bayview Yacht Club North Channel Race, Sept. 27, 0700-2400 ... The Coast Guard is proposing to add lights to Les Cheneaux Middle Entrance buoys B5 and B10 ... Special Olympics Dinner on Sept. 27 and Craft Show on the 28th at the Idle Hour Yacht Club ... Sept. 26-28 Polish Festival/Frostbite for the Grosse Pointe Woods Boat Club at Metro Beach ... Boati

ng Safety Class by the U.S. Coast Guard Aux. Oct. 2, Call Dave at (248) 652-6381 for information ... Oktoberfest at Idle Hour Yacht Club Oct. 4 call (586) 468-6641 for reservations ... Feature boat name of the week is Jabber Jaws. Others seen recently: O' Babe, Sane Asylem, Ain't Misbehaven, Wild Wild West, Pop's Post, Stocks and Blondes, Pressure Regulator, Docked Wages, Plumb Crazy III, Assorted Nuts, Boyle-n-Water II, Johnny B Good and Fallen Angel."

Mini
SWEET!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts