Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headin' back in to Black Creek last night, not long after sunset. Running along on plane, at about 30 MPH or so. A boat about 3 times our size slightly on our port, on a collision course. So I quickly altered course well to starboard, so we'd pass each other well to port of one another, and settled-down on the new course. Soon after that, me and my buddy go "What the hell?!?!" The bigger boat had altered course and was headed straight for us! I quickly altered course again well to starboard, again to put us on a a course that would cause us to pass well to port of one another, at which point I guess he finally noticed us, as he altered his course to starboard.

Two lessons learned: 1. Never assume the other guy sees you or that he'll Do The Right Thing when he does. I suspect he either didn't see us at first and was just altering course, the first time, because he wanted to, or that he had seen us, chose to alter course in the wrong direction, was slow about it, and hadn't noticed that I'd already taken action to avoid the collision. 2. Don't try to pass over a much bigger boat's wake, that close, long-ways, going about 2/3 out unless you're belted in
. I hung on, but just barely.

Also passed another boat, going the opposite way, a hundred yards to starboard or so, with only his anchor light on. Then there was the guy fishing just out of the North Channel, anchored, with his running lights on. "Hey, your running lights are on," I called over. "I know," he replied.

Good grief. No wonder there are collisions at sea.

Btw: Had a great time out at Strawberry Island and over at Decker's, yesterday!
Also, coming out the North Channel, water smooth as glass and the engine past its 10-hour mark, I was finally able to go WOT for a bit. Neglected to check the tach, but did get up to 47 MPH
. That was a nice ride

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Oh, they are out this weekend!! Be very aware out there! Yesterday I was coming out of the North Channel, into the lake on plane, some guy on an offshore passed me on port side, then took a sharp turn to starboard across my bow. I had to turn hard to starboard to miss him. I had a boatload of kids in an open bow boat, I know he saw us. He never looked back. Grrrr!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts