Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to get back on. First of all, my wife's dad was killed in a car accident on Christmas day and her mom was severely injured, so there was no time to get on line.
No drinking on their behalf to be a factor, just human error and weather conditions contributed. Her mother was in the hospital until last Thursday, and was finally good enough to come home, but has to have 24 hour care. We have been so busy with taking care of everything that there was no time to do anything else. Been a long winter with not being able to get on the hard water.

I wanted to pass on a thank you from my wife, her family, and myself to everyone who sent messages wondering where I went and passing the word of what happened. All of the emails and messages from the LSCN group offering condolences and prayer were very much appreciated, and helped give strength to the family.

Now with that being said, I am heading up to the Country Smokehouse in an hour to pick up twenty pounds of Walleye fillets for a fish fry tonight. They sell ten pound bags of flash frozen fillets for $29.00
If anyone wants me to bring some down, shoot me an email and I will bring them down and meet you to square up. Leaving by 4:30

Tight Lines!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Hate to inform you, but those are zander and not walleye. Zander is however a European cousin of the walleye.

In several taste tests I had with others, almost all thought the zander was fairly tasteless, while the walleye caught here in Michigan had "walleye flavor".

Sorry to here about your in-laws. Was that in Washington Twp?

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 7 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hate to inform you, but those are zander and not walleye. Zander is however a European cousin of the walleye.

In several taste tests I had with others, almost all thought the zander was fairly tasteless, while the walleye caught here in Michigan had "walleye flavor".

Hi Walleye Mike,
Thank you for the words. Yes it was in Washington township. Just South of 28 Mile by Rickett, bad hill there that limits the view of oncoming traffic until the last minute.

Zander? How can they say it's Walleye then? Is there a law against false advertising that would pertain to this? They seemed kind of bland last night, thought it was from flash freezing. Do you know this for sure? Kind of ticked to drive all that way for BS.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
QUOTE(propwash @ Mar 7 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 7 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hate to inform you, but those are zander and not walleye. Zander is however a European cousin of the walleye.

Hi Walleye Mike,
Thank you for the words. Yes it was in Washington township. Just South of 28 Mile by Rickett, bad hill there that limits the view of oncoming traffic until the last minute.

Zander? How can they say it's Walleye then? Is there a law against false advertising that would pertain to this? They seemed kind of bland last night, thought it was from flash freezing. Do you know this for sure? Kind of ticked to drive all that way for BS.
Thanks for the heads up.

That accident was just down the street from me.

Long story, but I have gotten a few restaurants in the area that were serving zander when the menu said walleye. They have since changed the menu to reflect that they are serving zander. Very common practice which is illegal. So is selling small zander fillets as perch. Got a couple of places under investigation right now for that.(selling zander for AYCE perch)

Got to remember, if the price is too good to be true..........

Michigan dept. of Agriculture knows of the deception and knows its widespead but yet doesn't do much until a complaint is filed. Contact your local health department and file a complaint is the only way to rectify the problem one place at a time. This is what I'm doing.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 8 2010, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(propwash @ Mar 7 2010, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(walleye mike @ Mar 7 2010, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hate to inform you, but those are zander and not walleye. Zander is however a European cousin of the walleye.

Hi Walleye Mike,

Thanks for the heads up.

That accident was just down the street from me.

Long story, but I have gotten a few restaurants in the area that were serving zander when the menu said walleye. They have since changed the menu to reflect that they are serving zander. Very common practice which is illegal. So is selling small zander fillets as perch. Got a couple of places under investigation right now for that.(selling zander for AYCE perch)

Got to remember, if the price is too good to be true..........

Michigan dept. of Agriculture knows of the deception and knows its widespead but yet doesn't do much until a complaint is filed. Contact your local health department and file a complaint is the only way to rectify the problem one place at a time. This is what I'm doing.

Hi Mike,
Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
My condolences, too. Glad to see you back just in time for soft water season.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Mar 8 2010, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>My condolences, too. Glad to see you back just in time for soft water season.

Thanks gimmeteeth,
I'll pass it on to my wife and the rest of the family. Everyone's words and thoughts go a long way. Looking forward to getting out with all of you.
Can't believe it's been almost three months that have gone by without getting on-line.
Nice to be back, Propwash

1 - 9 of 9 Posts