Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here is my spike during bow season. First arrow broke both hips and was off because the lane he stepped into had a branch hanging out at about 15yrds and deflected the arrow. Light was low as it was after 6pm before daylight savings went away, I should have known that branch was there. Its gone now
He stood up and tried hopping away slowly, second arrow missed because adrenaline was going and he was at 30yrds and squirming while I was shaking a little (I know, buck fever over this guy, it happens), third arrow found its mark after a couple of controlled breaths.

Here is my uncle's spike horn he shot November 15th at 9:30am from the ladder stand I literally put up at 2pm the afternoon before. First deer in 2 years for him, and he owns his own 80acres in Mancelona
( had some camera setting issues I didnt know about until after I took these and we took the deer in, so thats the color issue)

And here is my big doe I got this past Satruday morning at 8:00am from the same stand my uncle got his spike from. 4 came out, she was second, but clearly the biggest and was goosing all the other does with her nose, etc. She was clearly the matriach or leader. Shot her at less than ten yards as they came out from behind me and right under the ladder stand, which is only a 10 footer. Keep in mind, I'm 6' and 230lbs...

And here is one reason to let them get a little further out next time...carnage of a 300winmag at 8-10yrds...this is the ENTRANCE wound...must have hit the rib bone just right. Blood went spraying everywhere and she looked like a locomotive with all the steam coming out of her. Surprisingly, she still turned and ran 20yrds back the way they came from before falling over.

Wish I had pics of the 6pt, not this year...

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
nice pics. I must be neighbors with your uncle. I have 40 acres in mancelona over on twin lake road

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He owns an old christmas tree farm with house and outbuildings on the 80 acres off of Elder rd west of town. He's going to have me go up there this spring and we are going to begin work on modifying his property into a great deer habitat. Right now, not many deer flow through his property, because they have no reason to.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
QUOTE(Chefnutz @ Dec 4 2009, 01:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(outsider @ Dec 4 2009, 01:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>congrats. juss unsure how you shot that spike and then shot a six point unless it indeed had four points on one side??

he said wish he had pics of the 6pt, NOT THIS YEAR.

I think someone stole his 6 pt before he could get out of the tree

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTEI think someone stole his 6 pt before he could get out of the tree

Correct. It was a non-typical 6pt 2x4. Had any of the points been too short, we could have put my fathers or cousins tag on it, but I'm pretty sure it was legal. Doesn't matter as someone else has the deer in the freezer. Small non-typicals are fairly common in the area. 3pts, 5pts, and 7pts are very common so a 2x4 is no surprise.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
QUOTE(Nitro225Optimax @ Dec 4 2009, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTEI think someone stole his 6 pt before he could get out of the tree

Had any of the points been too short, we could have put my fathers or cousins tag on it, but I'm pretty sure it was legal.

Not bashing and not being the internet police but for those reading this that might not know, tagging an animal you did not kill is illegal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts