Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I mentioned this problem last week briefly in one of my reprots, but it's starting to get frustrating and I'd like some feedback/advice. My Fireline is breaking VERY easy!

Story: I've used Fireline all year, originally on a Quantum rod/reel combo from Canadian Tire with NO issues. Loved it. I'd straighten out hooks before losing a jig.

A few weeks ago, I bought an Ugly Stik Lite, and spooled it with brand new 8lb fireline crystal, same as other rod/reel. First problem came on second night with new set up. Lost a small fish (under 2 lbs probably) due to line breaking. Since then, I've noticed that when I get snagged, my line breaks VERY easy--and it takes me 4 or 5 tries sometimes to get a knot (always palomar) that won't break above it. I've checked the eyes on the rod, checked the line for frays, and have cut off a bunch, and still, my line breaks way too easy, and I'm losing confidence in it in a hurry. I'd like to know if anyone has any issues with fireline on Ugly Stik Lite's (can't find any complaints on the internet--the rod has stainless steel inserts on the eyes.), or if this is possibly a bad batch, as I have seen complaints of. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

· Premium Member
3,844 Posts
It's breaking right at the knot, or is the knot failing? If the knot is failing, then that's your issue.

But if it's breaking, I'd check that tip top guide again. I build my own rods, but I bought my first conventional muskie rod this year; a St. Croix. First night out I launch a DCG over the horizon because my 80 lb PP snapped on a cast. Turns out, even though I checked the guides too, there was a small manufacturing burr on the tip that was fraying my line ever so slightly on every cast and all the damage was coming on the cast and each cast frayyed the line just a tiny tiny bit until it snapped.

80 lb anything shouldn't be breaking like you describe. You've got to have some sort of issue with that rod or reel that is damaging the line somewhere, somehow.

· Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(esoxfly @ Aug 21 2009, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It's breaking right at the knot, or is the knot failing? If the knot is failing, then that's your issue.

But if it's breaking, I'd check that tip top guide again. I build my own rods, but I bought my first conventional muskie rod this year; a St. Croix. First night out I launch a DCG over the horizon because my 80 lb PP snapped on a cast. Turns out, even though I checked the guides too, there was a small manufacturing burr on the tip that was fraying my line ever so slightly on every cast and all the damage was coming on the cast and each cast frayyed the line just a tiny tiny bit until it snapped.

80 lb anything shouldn't be breaking like you describe. You've got to have some sort of issue with that rod or reel that is damaging the line somewhere, somehow.

In case you missed it, or I'm misunderstanding you, I use 8 lb--not 80. My line is breaking ABOVE the knot, when I go to tighten it. Over and over again, 'till finally one stays. I've taken off so much line, but still issues. I'm really gonna have to go over my eyes on the rod...
Thanks very much for the reply!
PS: How (or did you?) did you fix the burr? Nail Polish?

· Registered
116 Posts
I've been fishing 10Lb. teast Fireline all summer.
The only problem I have is cutting the stuff.

Myself. I'd suspect first the guides as suggested above. If that wasn't it I'd get in touch with Berkley. Might be a bad batch of line. Making this stuff is a fairly fussy process and s**t happens. Might get 'em to send you a new spool...

· Registered
10,315 Posts
Not only the the rod tip needs looking at but the reel also. Use Q-tip and see if anything gets snaged checking guides. Perhaps you did get a bad batch and put it back on line reel and return for exchange. Very strange what is happening and should not deter you from the best line out there.

I myself always use the trilene knot and wrap five times. Never have a problem and wet the line before the final torque.

I have only used FireLine since we could buy it in Michigan. Never had a break off problem ever. Most of the time I'm using 4lb.

h2o

· Registered
437 Posts
QUOTE(Zolton @ Aug 21 2009, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've been fishing 10Lb. teast Fireline all summer.
The only problem I have is cutting the stuff.

Myself. I'd suspect first the guides as suggested above. If that wasn't it I'd get in touch with Berkley. Might be a bad batch of line. Making this stuff is a fairly fussy process and s**t happens. Might get 'em to send you a new spool...

I use braided line on 2 of my rods. I have found that a pair of cuticle scissors works great for cutting braid. They have rounded points so there's less risk stabbing myself when your rocking and rolling in the boat when the lake turns into a washing machine.

· Registered
295 Posts
Never had a problem with it and absolutly love the stuff. I agree the only problem I have is if you dont have sharp clippers or scissors your SOL in trying to cut or break it. doesnt sound like the fireline I use

· Registered
2,205 Posts
I had some bad luck with Fireline crystal breakage 2 years ago...I started fishing power pro last year...I like the feedback a little better with the Crystal so I was going to give them another shot, I bought 3 new spools of crystal from BPS this spring...Broke off two fish this spring with Crystal practicing for a tournamnet...I am done with crystal...If I am fishing for 5 or 6 bites in a day I can't afford to have my line be questionable.....

I love Power Pro and my failure rate is "0".....I have yet to have the braided line on my set up fail with Power Pro...I just wish it was more visible and clear like Fireline..

· Registered
1,845 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Aug 21 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had some bad luck with Fireline crystal breakage 2 years ago...I started fishing power pro last year...I like the feedback a little better with the Crystal so I was going to give them another shot, I bought 3 new spools of crystal from BPS this spring...Broke off two fish this spring with Crystal practicing for a tournamnet...I am done with crystal...If I am fishing for 5 or 6 bites in a day I can't afford to have my line be questionable.....

I love Power Pro and my failure rate is "0".....I have yet to have the braided line on my set up fail with Power Pro...I just wish it was more visible and clear like Fireline..

I agree on the Power Pro. I have some crystal spooled up as well and can't say I had issues with iy breaking, but power pro seems more limber and not as quick to kink like fireline. I am starting to make the move over to power pro on my trolling rods and my jigging sticks. In fact I just ordered a 1000 yd spool.

· Registered
3,723 Posts
I use Fireline Tracer right now....0 breaks. 2 feet hi-vis, 2 feet low-vis up an down the line. I have it in 20lb test w/ dia of 6lb test........only flaw with this line is that it seems to fade after use and the whole length of line used during casting kinda turns into a med-vis line. But again, the strength is incredible.

· Registered
5,191 Posts
Your first problem is using fireline crystal. That stuff is crap. That's why you can get it cheaper than any of the other colors. My guess is you just got a bad spool. Buy another spool, and try it out. I've been using the fireline for 4 years now, and have never experienced that problem.

· Registered
3,723 Posts
QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Aug 21 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your first problem is using fireline crystal. That stuff is crap. That's why you can get it cheaper than any of the other colors. My guess is you just got a bad spool. Buy another spool, and try it out. I've been using the stuff for 4 years now, and have never experienced that problem.

That's quite the contradiction.....? The stuff is crap, yet you have been using it for 4 years now? How can it be crap but you don't have problems with it?

· Premium Member
3,844 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Aug 21 2009, 11:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>In case you missed it, or I'm misunderstanding you, I use 8 lb--not 80. .....
.........PS: How (or did you?) did you fix the burr? Nail Polish?

LOL, I misread. I thought I read 80 lb. Either way, 8 or 80, it shouldn't break.

As far as fixing it, I took the damn thing back and got another one. Spend $200 on a rod, I don't want to mess with a burr the first day out.

· Registered
5,191 Posts
QUOTE(Large Mouth Peks @ Aug 21 2009, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(icefishermanmark12 @ Aug 21 2009, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Your first problem is using fireline crystal. That stuff is crap. That's why you can get it cheaper than any of the other colors. My guess is you just got a bad spool. Buy another spool, and try it out. I've been using the stuff for 4 years now, and have never experienced that problem.

That's quite the contradiction.....? The stuff is crap, yet you have been using it for 4 years now? How can it be crap but you don't have problems with it?

My bad, I've been using fireline for 4 years. Not that crappy Crystal stuff...

· Registered
3,109 Posts
first of all you need to do several things.

Either strip off 10 feet or so and re tie with a double palmor knot. With fushion and braided line you have to tie a double, it completly prevents the slipping of the knot.

Or just strip off the line compltely and re spool. I found out the hard way with this, loosing 8 fish in a tournament because the line just went to crap. I loved it when i used it in the beginning but i will never go back to it. I re spool eight times a year, it may cost some money to do so but snapping off doesnt become an issue.

Trust me, i have learned from experience, the hard way!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.