Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just Want to know from everbody who likes fireline and who likes triline. Give me a couple of Pro's and Con's about both of the products!!!

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
I've been using fireline since day one.....
here's why, and why, and why......

1. All fish feel bigger.
2. I've never set the hook it's automatic.
3. I've lost so many less fish because of no stretch.
4. It's ever so strong. Totally under-rated.
5. Allows you to go barbless better, Because the hook goes deeper.
6. It last almost all year. Justifing the cost.
7. Doesn't have memory. Meaning doesn't coil.
8. Cast father, and more accurate.
9. Yes there's more. lol
10. I use mostly 4lb. test, 1lb diameter,,, thin stuff.
11. Imagine, think now... one pound diameter virtually invisable.
12. Can be used in all weather hot or cold,, even ice fishing.
13. Knots are high quality.
14. Flies through the line guides.
15. I use it for all fishing situations.. troll, cast, jig. ect.
16 No I don't work for berkley...lol
17. You could offer me 100 denero. to fish with rubber band mono and i would just laugh at you and cast my fireline.
18. Any questions post here or e-mail me...

h2o<-----------say's fireline is another dimention in fishing and has to be experienced correctly to understand it...

300 yds. $24.95 @ Bass Pro.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
THE ONLY NEGATIVE ABOUT FIRELINE IS IF YOU DON'T USE IT.

h2o<------------doesn't work for berkley lol

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Of course fireline is made by trilene and is good but it is to soft for me. I (and I don't believe I'm saying this) prefer Stren super baird as it is a little stiffer not a lot and it is thin and I think it cast better than fireline. I have used all of them. The only reason I used so much Trilene in the past is because you do get more hits with mono and I think I can prove that to my satisfaction anyway because since I have switched to mostly braids my hit rate has lowered quite a bit. I would say close to 50% or so. Back when the water was so dirty it didn't matter as much but with this clean water the mono lets the lures have a bit more action. This is my two cents worth and I guess I'm stuck with it. Good fishing to all and use what you want.LOL
Bob

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
By the way H20 your right about the hook sets. Mono is too soft for big fish. It is OK on smaller ones but the jaws on those fifty inch fish is awesome. LET IT GO LET IT GROW LOL Bob

·
Registered
263 Posts
h2o,
on your recommendation, i have used 4 lb fireline this year for smallies, and i broke off a ton on fish and snags. then i went up to 6 lb fireline, and it was a little stronger, but i still broke off numerous fish and broke off on snags often. i usually threw this line in the st clair river, but i also threw it on sylvan lake, and broke off a two pound smallie with 6 lb fireline, and it cost me dearly. i barely set the hook, and snap! i will probably won't be using this line next year because it cost me too many fish this year. my partner was using 10 lb mono the whole time i was throwing this line, and had just as many bites, and didn't break off on fish, or the bottom as much as i did. that is all i have to say about that. derrek

·
Registered
397 Posts
I personally have never tried Fireline. I know many who sware by it. But every time I have tried some new fangled "super line" I inevitably go back to mono for various reasons. I'm not convinced that any of them cast further, have less memory or superior knot strength. I do agree that they stretch less and are more sensitive. There is a time and a place for everything but I wouldn't use a braid, fusion or any other super line 100% of the time.

Typically my mono of choice is Trilene. This year however, I have gone with the Yozuri Hybrid in 8, 10, 12, 15 and even 20 lb. During the BPS Spring classic it was on sale "Buy 1 get 1 Free". I couldn't resit at least trying it at that price. So far, I've been pretty impressed.

Oh yeah, Spider Wire Fusion works great as sewing thread for heavy duty applications such as shoulder straps on a back pack

Marke

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
WOW nitroderrek, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with fireline...I can only say your drag was to tight or the lure was to heavy, I loosen my drag quite a bit with fireline. Actually use a scale to set it properly. I never go past 1/8th ounce weight with the 4lb. I do go heavier with the 6lb. test 2lb. diameter fireline. I've straightened out the hook with it before. I've caught so many 3-4-5 pound smallies with the 4lb. Also landed carp in the 16lb range with the 4lb. Also fireline cannot be used with ceramic line guide's. Also i use only the trilene knot when I tie it. I've never heard of anyone with the kind of trouble you have had with it. And I don't horse them in for sure.. Once again sorry you had all the problems with it.

h2o's <---------buddies use it and love it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
h2o,
it is ok. i have been using 14 lb fireline, and have had just as many bites, and i don't break off fish, and i rarely break off on the bottom. i was using heavier weight with the light line, so that may be the problem. i did catch a 4 and a 5 pounder the first time i used 4 lb fireline, so i thought it was great, but then it went down hill from there. it seemed like i got a good stretch of line that wouldn't break at all, then other times the line kept breaking so often, i had to respool the whole reel. anyways, i'm not giving up on it yet. it definatly helped me catch more walleye. i caught 5 keepers in a couple hours using 6 lb fireline, where my partner was using mono and didn't catch one out of the same boat, with the same lure. so i definately agree that it helps with walleye, but i don't think the smallies are that line sensitive. that is all i have to say about that. derrek

·
Registered
19 Posts
i use clear blue stren 4 all my fishing needs lb wt onfish i be looking 4. partner uses that fancy line stuff . it cost him 2 snapped rods.and lotsa lost fish. deg says if u cant play em why horse em

·
Registered
20 Posts
Braids are the onlyway to go anymore...

I have used Spiderwire since it first became available. I personally don't like the fused lines as they fray and show wear pretty quickly. I used Fireline for a short time on an ultra-light since it was so much cheaper than Spiderwire but I hated it and went back to S-wire. I use it on ALL my rods- baitcasters, spinning, surf rod, catfish rigs, etc. I just can't stand the "dead" feel of mono anymore.

I can tell you what the bottom is, if I am dragging across a stick or a log, if I have debris on the line or a bite. I can set a hook at the end of a LONG cast and get the fish. The stuff is limp and has no memory. No coils of line falling off the front of the reel. And despite many claims, I have not experienced any guide wear above normal. I do a lot of casting and reeling and I see no abnormal wear on any of my 15+ rods.

The life span of this stuff is great- I will spool up with about half a spool of Stren for backing and then put 100 yards or so of S-wire on the reel. No reason to fill the entire spool with the stuff at the cost. Then, at the end of the year, I take off the 100 yards and turn it around and spool it back up. Waa Laa, new line for the coming season. No breakdown from the sun, no coils from being on the spool, etc. I will fish with nothing else.

The only other braid that I have used and like is Power Pro. In fact it is on all 4 of my cat rigs. ( Garcia 6500-C3s) and they do great with it. Excellent casting ability and great when you snag up in the river. I can actually turn big rocks over and get my rigs back. I have dredged up LARGE branches and logs that would have otherwise eaten my rigs. I run the 65lb stuff on my cat rods and I swear you could dock your boat with this stuff. I love it.

One word of caution though- some reels will not let you use the braids. The way they wind the line on the spools lets it dig into itself. My Shimanos have no problems, nor do my Garcias. But, a couple Daiwas I had didn't work. My Quantums do well with it though.

Fireline is one of the fused lines. Just go all the way and get the braid- you'll like it.

UFM82

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
UFM82A:: Excellent the dead feel of mono,,, These superlines are ever so more advanced that mere mono. I feel fishing with mono, in comparison to what ever superline, is like fishing with a rubberband, the stretch drive's me crazy. lol, I think i'd give up fishing if all there was was mono. The point i'm making is when you fish with mono and the fish surge's the stretch robs you of the feel of the fish, which doesn't happen with whatever superline that has no stretch to speak of give's you. With superlines, when that fish pumps it's tail you feel it right away, especially using a stiff rod. (which i prefer) I can tell what side of the mouth the fish has the lure in. Yes the fireline does fray, and that's something i live with. Good point with using mono for backing i do that. And pulling all the line off and turning it around is a good point also i do that to. I think like you once you get used to a superline and see the difference in the feel of the catch there's no way to go back to fishing with the rubber band mono. If we had 100 feet of both mono and superline in both our hands and walked backwards the mono would stretch 10 feet were the superline might stretch 1/2 in. You get my point. But of course ppl will always do there thing and use what they like. But once they feel fish on a superline there's no way i can see to go back to rubberband mono...LOL

h2o<----------says you can tow cars with superline

·
Registered
110 Posts
Used several different superlines on a recent fly-in trip to Canada. Caught 69 fish in five days, mostly pike and walleye. Didn't lose a lure or a rig. I don't fish with steel leaders either. Caught everything from hammerhandles to a 15 pounder.

·
Registered
83 Posts
20# fireline (8lb. diameter) is all I use on LSC and have used only that for years. I get as many bites as my partners using mono and sometimes more. I do need to retie more often but it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
As I have stated numerous times, superlines are not for everytype of fishing. Tube jigs, worms, pitching for bass, jigging for walleye.....yes.

I cant throw a spinnerbait or crankbait on them though...some people can. I still use mono for all "horizontal" presentations. "Vertical" or presentations that require you to feel for the bite, I start with PowerPro Braid. If I dont get bit, I switch to mono. There are times when braid wont get bit. It has happened to me while dragging and slipping in the current. Somedays they will only hit mono.

Let the fish tell you.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
John your right. Braids are not a do all line. The fellow that said he catches as many fish on braids as he does mono is not fishing for Muskie. I have enough records to prove my point on this one. I become a journey man fisherman next year fellows. My apprenticship is over. thank the lord. 75 years and still counting. Mono has its place just as braids do. No matter what everyone has what they think is the best and believe it or not we can't all be right or wrong. My Two Cents. LOL LET IT GO LET IT GROW Bob

1 - 16 of 16 Posts