Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some researching on this site for fireline topics and read the super line debates. Well, i believe i am going to try the fireline this yr and see how i like it.

One last question i had is would an average guy who fishes st clair for walleye and bass about once every 2 weeks need to replace the fireline during the season or would the fireline not weaken as mono would? It sounds like the fireline frays some and i assume i could just strip off 6-10 ft after a trip and be as good as new(??). Half way thru the season, would it be advisable to strip it off and load it back on in reverse order, or should i stop worrying about the fireline and just fish??

Do folks use the fireline on the reels from last year? When do you advice i replace the backing line?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
When the coating at the beginning wears off and there's some flare's that doesn't effect the line. Fireline doesn't break down from the sunlight like mono. I't will last all year for you and maybe next. I've been using only fireline since day one. Half way through the season sure take it off just lay it out on the lawn and reverse it. I do that often. I use a cotton cloth pinching the line when i re-reel it. If the fraying is real bad than clip off what's neccessary and that will mean you caught enough fish to not care.
That's a good thing about fireline it last's real long. I get the 300 yd spools from BPS. You don't have to change the backing but make sure you have enough on because the fireline is so thin in diameter you need maybe a third or quarter spool of backing depending on the size of your spool. I use mostly 4lb, and 6lb. all the time. Here's some helpful hints and Tips.

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/technotes/1...reLine-Tips.htm

h2o<---4lb for lures of 1/8 oz. and smaller 6lb. for lures over 1/8 oz up to 3/8 and 8lb. over 3/8oz lure's 10lb. 1/2oz. ect.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Also very important to get the right pair of scissors to cut it, finger nail clips don't work, make sure when you buy them there for superline's and will cut FireLine it's tough stuff. Make sure you set your drag just a bit now that's JUST A BIT looser that's mandatory, that way bigger fish won't rip off or straighten your hook out. If your snagged bad don't crack your pole trying to get it. Use something to wrap the line around and go for it. Be careful not to grab the line and cut your finger off. Meaning it's awful strong line and will surprise you there. If you don't think the spool is full enough strip it off and add more backing. Once you learn it you'll know how much backing to have per reel load.

The reason's I only use FireLine is because #1 you don't set the hook anymore it's automatic, #2 All fish feel bigger because there's no stretch to speak off and it's all man vs. fish there, mono acts like a rubber band and you loose the feeling as it stretch's. #3 it cast so smooth i could never go back to mono. #4 My confidence is as high as it can be knowing it won't break off virtual always. #5 It ties so easy, is thin dia. and ever so strong.

I use it for all fishing situations and never have a problem. Once you learn this line you might think like me. I'm not debating lines by no means. I'm just so pro FireLine because of all the things it brings me to fishing.

h2o<--says, you'll see when you use it. Any questions please ask.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
If I have to read one more post about fire line I will never post here again. It is good line but by no means the best period. Enough now. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Rut Roe

h2o<---hiding in the woods won't come home for awhile. ouch!

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I have to admit for a long time now, I've believed h20 was really Tom Bedell, but apparently not...

(Just call it something else - like CombustingLine
)

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Thanks Dan. I was just answering a question and trying to help. About the CombustingLine.

h2o<---going to buy some trilene green 4 + 6 lb.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Trilene about time you wised up.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
For backing bob. oh my better go back in the woods.

h2o<--

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Thanks John i needed that.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
O.K. John if I can't have fun with Gregg I won't play anymore. So goodbye.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Let's just keep playing Bob I'm sure we all no you were Joking there just wasn't any smiley faces. You sure sounded serious. Anyways were way beyond this. I for one can't believe what happened and will come over and bring my toys and we'll have a great time buddy.

h2o<---says

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I'm just getting John ready for the whipping I'm going to give him Bass fishing this summer. Camara guy knows don't you Mark??? Muskiebobsr retires that one day a year and goes back to Red Eye Bob and kicks the hinnies of those Bass fisher persons. Bring your toys to Gander Mtn, Utica Saturday and we will have some fun... Bob

·
Registered
234 Posts
Not that Gregg needs defending, but fireline truly works for him. I've fished with Gregg and he does very well indeed. As for Bob's kidding, well, he's kinda earned the right, I guess, on the basis of seniority. I mean, who on this site would be his senior?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mike

The only thing older than bob would be the Sturgeon!!! Not sure wich one would win a beauty contest either!!!

Gregg

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I have to admit it I am older than a lot of those fish out there but I'm better looking. Remember Gregg I never get angy I just get even. H2o what are you confused about???? I'm confused also.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Bob,

Your always confused....lol

You will be more confused when you ask me AGAIN how to fish a tube....

Cant wait to share the boat with you again. Cameraguy needs to document it...

Mini

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
QUOTE(Mike Tuomey @ Apr 7 2004, 07:45 PM)Not that Gregg needs defending, but fireline truly works for him. I've fished with Gregg and he does very well indeed. As for Bob's kidding, well, he's kinda earned the right, I guess, on the basis of seniority. I mean, who on this site would be his senior?

Heck he is older than the phone lines people use to access this site.

I am cracking myself up here!

Mini

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Bob's our 5 star general and can shout orders from the middle of anchor bay and take our boat away and make me use mono and when he says jump we say how high and catch's more muskie than all of us together and is going to have a great fishing season and make me stop saying and.

h2o<---says 60's soon

1 - 20 of 22 Posts