Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just bought a 17' Johnson reveler i/o v6. I would like to take her out sat morning on her maidan voyage. kinda new to boating, I mean Ive been on and used otther peoples boats, but this is mine. Does anyone think this is too small of a boat for saint clair this time of year? Ive never boated st clair and really not to familaer with the lake. I do have common sense. But any suggestions would be helpful. Also if anybody sees me just floating please tow in.
lollolol I think I have gone through all the proper checks But I dont have a Marine radio yet. Forgot to add Im taking her fishing, sorry dont want anyone thinking this should be in the boating section. looking to fish the mile roads and maybe out farther as long as the boat seems safe at that point in time.

·
Sponsor Since 02-09
290 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just bought a 17' Johnson reveler i/o v6. I would like to take her out sat morning on her maidan voyage. kinda new to boating, I mean Ive been on and used otther peoples boats, but this is mine. Does anyone think this is too small of a boat for saint clair this time of year? Ive never boated st clair and really not to familaer with the lake. I do have common sense. But any suggestions would be helpful. Also if anybody sees me just floating please tow in.
lollolol I think I have gone through all the proper checks But I dont have a Marine radio yet. Forgot to add Im taking her fishing, sorry dont want anyone thinking this should be in the boating section. looking to fish the mile roads and maybe out farther as long as the boat seems safe at that point in time.

Make sure you have all the coast guard requirements, lifejackets, throwable, fire extinguisher, horn or whistle or air horn, flares. Firstaid kit and check anchor and lines(rope).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(AnglersPoint @ Oct 2 2009, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 1 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I just bought a 17' Johnson reveler i/o v6. I would like to take her out sat morning on her maidan voyage. kinda new to boating, I mean Ive been on and used otther peoples boats, but this is mine. Does anyone think this is too small of a boat for saint clair this time of year? Ive never boated st clair and really not to familaer with the lake. I do have common sense. But any suggestions would be helpful. Also if anybody sees me just floating please tow in.

Make sure you have all the coast guard requirements, lifejackets, throwable, fire extinguisher, horn or whistle or air horn, flares. Firstaid kit and check anchor and lines(rope).

I have almost all that. I must stop and get a first aid kit tonight. But what about a anchor, Imean what are the requirements for an anchor? Cinder bloch and rope?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shouldn't you be teaching an "alley dock" instead of posting on the internet at 10:40am?!

You'll have no significant issues on the Mile Roads and around Anchor Bay. Just keep an eye open for stupid people... As for the BoatU.S. insurance, it is worth looking into and will be invaluable should you ever need it, I've got it and have towed 2 other boats this year!

I'll be happy to go over a few checks with you prior to fishing if we're still on for Sunday morning. I'll bring my ride.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE(Champ @ Oct 2 2009, 02:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Shouldn't you be teaching an "alley dock" instead of posting on the internet at 10:40am?!

You'll have no significant issues on the Mile Roads and around Anchor Bay. Just keep an eye open for stupid people... As for the BoatU.S. insurance, it is worth looking into and will be invaluable should you ever need it, I've got it and have towed 2 other boats this year!

I'll be happy to go over a few checks with you prior to fishing if we're still on for Sunday morning. I'll bring my ride.
were still on for sun, as long as you can make it. But Im taking mine out for her first test ride in the morning. so keep your cell phone on and boat loaded. lolololol only going out for a couple hours, have to make room in the garage so i can work on the boat this winter. BTW you dont have a extra compass do ya?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well took the small boat out on the big lake
. This boat sits way to low in the water for windy days. stayed out for about 2 hours. threw a couple lines in the water but more worried about water coming over the sides from the waves then fishing. well time to get a bigger boat! At least i can get some fishing in till I get a bigger boat.

·
Registered
701 Posts
QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 3 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well took the small boat out on the big lake
. This boat sits way to low in the water for windy days. stayed out for about 2 hours. threw a couple lines in the water but more worried about water coming over the sides from the waves then fishing. well time to get a bigger boat! At least i can get some fishing in till I get a bigger boat.

Maby not, i herd it was wicked nasty out there yesterday. A bud of mine said the east wind brought on some 4 foot mudders, said it was BAD! Try again!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE(Freek @ Oct 3 2009, 03:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(fishingfreak @ Oct 3 2009, 11:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well took the small boat out on the big lake

Maby not, i herd it was wicked nasty out there yesterday. A bud of mine said the east wind brought on some 4 foot mudders, said it was BAD! Try again!

My buddy champ is bringing his bass boat tomorrow so I will see how that thing handles out there in the morning. I found a 27' sea ray for a real good price i might just grab that up and be done with it.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Don't buy a boat in a panic mode. First figure out what you'll be fishing for, then look for something that fits that criteria. I bought my boat for Salmon fishing in the great lakes and it works great. It also works great in Lk Saint Clair but it isn't really suitable for Musky fishing. Ya I can catch them, but I can't reach the water to properly release them. I also don't have the boat control to fish a weed line, I don't have a kicker but I'm not sure that would even do it. Slow down and think it through.
Ron...

·
Registered
303 Posts
QUOTE(Molly Frair @ Oct 4 2009, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Don't buy a boat in a panic mode. First figure out what you'll be fishing for, then look for something that fits that criteria. I bought my boat for Salmon fishing in the great lakes and it works great. It also works great in Lk Saint Clair but it isn't really suitable for Musky fishing. Ya I can catch them, but I can't reach the water to properly release them. I also don't have the boat control to fish a weed line, I don't have a kicker but I'm not sure that would even do it. Slow down and think it through.
Ron...

Thanks for the advise, I went out today in my buddies bass boat and the water was no where near as bad as yesterday. I still think I want A bigger boat. I like to target salmon and walleye but would like to try musky. tomorrow is supposed to be half way decent with 1-2 foot waves so im going out when i get off work and see how she handles.

·
Registered
56 Posts
i Have a 17 foot starcraft does fine in the lake but it can be a very bumpy ride in 4 ft waves but that just adds to the exciment of fishing lake saint clair little water over the sides is good for you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE(Sidetrack @ Oct 8 2009, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i Have a 17 foot starcraft does fine in the lake but it can be a very bumpy ride in 4 ft waves but that just adds to the exciment of fishing lake saint clair little water over the sides is good for you.

Yea, I think Im going to try it for a little while next summer. But I bet my boat sits lower in the water then yours does. lol

·
Registered
6,511 Posts
As far as your boat sitting low in the water you might want to check and see if you have to many layers of flooring or the flotation foam is soaked. I have had issues with both in the past with older boats. Some times people just keep adding layers of flooring over the old rotted out flooring in a boat instead of ripping it out and doing it right. Or they don't properly store the boat for the winter so it takes on water then that water gets under the floor and gets into the flotation foam and never completely gets out of the foam and both of these can cause a boat to sit low in the water. I had a 1968 sixteen foot lonestar that i redid and when I first got it and took it out it sat really low in the water then I ripped out two layers of 3/4" plywood installed a new single layer of 3/4" marine grade plywood and replaced all the flotation foam as it was saturated with water and my boat sat about a foot higher in the water. Just some suggestions. But I now have a bigger boat which is what I wanted. I don't musky fish but I do fish for walleye and want to go out salmon fishing so I bought something big enough to handle saint clair and also any of the other great lakes. Good luck and safe boating.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE(bowtiehater28 @ Oct 10 2009, 01:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>As far as your boat sitting low in the water you might want to check and see if you have to many layers of flooring or the flotation foam is soaked. I have had issues with both in the past with older boats. Some times people just keep adding layers of flooring over the old rotted out flooring in a boat instead of ripping it out and doing it right. Or they don't properly store the boat for the winter so it takes on water then that water gets under the floor and gets into the flotation foam and never completely gets out of the foam and both of these can cause a boat to sit low in the water. I had a 1968 sixteen foot lonestar that i redid and when I first got it and took it out it sat really low in the water then I ripped out two layers of 3/4" plywood installed a new single layer of 3/4" marine grade plywood and replaced all the flotation foam as it was saturated with water and my boat sat about a foot higher in the water. Just some suggestions. But I now have a bigger boat which is what I wanted. I don't musky fish but I do fish for walleye and want to go out salmon fishing so I bought something big enough to handle saint clair and also any of the other great lakes. Good luck and safe boating.how can I find out without ripping the whole boat apart?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You can try lightly tapping on the hull with a mallet. Not to hard or you'll crack gelcoat. Listen for a deep hollow thud. It should sound the same from the bow all the way back. Not foolproof but if bad enough you will hear a difference. Also look into iboats forums for more precise methods. Test holes are one way but can get ugly quick....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts