Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out again to try and find the now-elusive 'eyes last night. It's been pretty slow for me of late, but I think I'm figuring out why...

The toothy guys have moved in! After catching a pike on Sunday night that was probably pushing 10lbs, I hooked into my firsty musky last night, on the very first cast. Same tactic, trolling the breakwalls just east of bridge. Same lure as Sunday, wonderbread crank, and I was literally fishing for about 30 seconds before it hit. Immediately, it jumped through the air, bummiing me out that again, this wasn't a walleye. It was fun to catch, and YES, I did release it quickly. I'm estimating it at around 6-8 lbs, just a 'little guy'. Honestly, though, I could do without catching another one--those things smell SOMETHING FIERCE!! Would gladly trade one of them any day for a wally of equal size--but, to each his own. At least I caught something, which has not always been the case lately.

Anyone thoughts as to the whereabouts of the 'eyes lately? Haven't seen too many reports coming in from the DR, and I expect(ed) them to move in shallow at night in bigger numbers in the fall. I think I may have to make my way towards the sand piles for some casting, as most of the fish I'm hearing of have come in or around LSC.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Well, congrats on losing your musky virginity... whether you like it or not.

Muskies are going to be corralling shad onto the breakwalls this time of year, so I'm not surprised.

I've caught some real nice 'eyes in the upper river in fall. Hitting the sand piles looks like a good plan. The 'eyes also corral the baitfish to shore just after sunset. I could always spot 'em splashing around near shore in the good spots.

·
Registered
155 Posts
QUOTE(barnz @ Oct 6 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Went out again to try and find the now-elusive 'eyes last night. It's been pretty slow for me of late, but I think I'm figuring out why...

The toothy guys have moved in! After catching a pike on Sunday night that was probably pushing 10lbs, I hooked into my firsty musky last night, on the very first cast. Same tactic, trolling the breakwalls just east of bridge. Same lure as Sunday, wonderbread crank, and I was literally fishing for about 30 seconds before it hit. Immediately, it jumped through the air, bummiing me out that again, this wasn't a walleye. It was fun to catch, and YES, I did release it quickly. I'm estimating it at around 6-8 lbs, just a 'little guy'. Honestly, though, I could do without catching another one--those things smell SOMETHING FIERCE!! Would gladly trade one of them any day for a wally of equal size--but, to each his own. At least I caught something, which has not always been the case lately.

Anyone thoughts as to the whereabouts of the 'eyes lately? Haven't seen too many reports coming in from the DR, and I expect(ed) them to move in shallow at night in bigger numbers in the fall. I think I may have to make my way towards the sand piles for some casting, as most of the fish I'm hearing of have come in or around LSC.

GOOD REPORT BARNZ ! NOW GET A NET FIRST----GET A CAMERA SECOND
START EARLIER THIRD TROLL SLOWER FORTH] LOL I REALLY ENJOY YOUR REPORT.
MIGHT SEE YOU THERE SOME NIGHT WOULD LIKE TO TAKE SOME VIDEO OF YOU.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE(mr.twister @ Oct 7 2009, 12:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(barnz @ Oct 6 2009, 10:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Went out again to try and find the now-elusive 'eyes last night. It's been pretty slow for me of late, but I think I'm figuring out why...

GOOD REPORT BARNZ ! NOW GET A NET FIRST----GET A CAMERA SECOND
START EARLIER THIRD TROLL SLOWER FORTH] LOL I REALLY ENJOY YOUR REPORT.
MIGHT SEE YOU THERE SOME NIGHT WOULD LIKE TO TAKE SOME VIDEO OF YOU.

LOL, funny about the net thing; both times, when I saw it wasn't an 'eye (those are the only fish I keep), I wasn't too worried of losing it, so I put my rod down, rapped my hand in my sleeve, and pulled the line and fish up (the pike and muskie were too heavy to lift--my drag was set, and the line would just fall back into the water).
Lo and behold, landed both fish...lol. If they were 'eyes, surely I would have lost them!
Murphy's Law, right?
I really should bring a camera, as I know everyone (myself included) loves pics. It's jsut that the camera the wife and I have is a wedding gift from me to her, and near $800--if I ever get mugged down there at night, that camera IS NOT gonna get stolen! The only pic I have so far is the large 'eye I brought home a few weeks back.
Also, I do troll VERY SLOWLY. Slowing down more, my lure wouldn't even move. I know speed isn't a factor. Perhaps jigs would be a better idea, but I fish alongside people (my friend, and sometimes my dad) who use mostly jigs, and I almost always outfish them--proof is in the pudding there. And finally, if you choose to video me, bring some coffee and lots of tape. Three hours for maybe one fish sure wouldn't make for exciting film!
I was fishing for literally 30 seconds when I got the muskie--nothing else for the next 3 hours.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(gimmeteeth @ Oct 7 2009, 12:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well, congrats on losing your musky virginity... whether you like it or not.

Muskies are going to be corralling shad onto the breakwalls this time of year, so I'm not surprised.

I've caught some real nice 'eyes in the upper river in fall. Hitting the sand piles looks like a good plan. The 'eyes also corral the baitfish to shore just after sunset. I could always spot 'em splashing around near shore in the good spots.

I've seen the odd fish jumping of late, just not sure they're 'eyes. I fished the sand piles earlier in the year, and did manage 2 there in June. The only reasons I haven't been back are a) it's kinda far for me to go,
I can't 'troll' there, as it's a rocky shoreline, so it's more just casting--I like covering lots of shoreline, and c) it gets DAMN dark there at night! I was having pretty good success throughout the summer down by the bridge, but now that the fish don't seem to be there much, I may have no choice. Soon as the weather gets better, I'm heading out that way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts