Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings
This is my first post but I have fished Lake St. Clair all my life. Also vacation a couple time a year in the Florida Keys and have been following their forum for years (Florida Sportsman magazine.

This is my first year on the US side of the lake after doing almost all my fishing on Walpole Island and surroundiung channels for the past 30 years. Not going back because the bays we used to fish are so shallow and it is such a hassle to take guests over ther, so I am back to fishing places I have fished in years.

I have found the various postings about catch and release bass fishing to be very informative. I must admit that I took for granted it was all right to fish as long as the fish were released. That surely is the way it is in Florida; most guides in the Keys make their living releasing tarpon, bonefish, permit, barracuda, etc. I will do anything I can to support legal fishing.

Years ago when Ray Trombley was still alive I was an assoicate member of the Lake St. Clair Advisory Committee. Are they still active? They had some clout when Ray was running the leading the group.

I will be fishing mostly in the South Channel and will be anxious to hear if anyone starts getting walleyes. We have tried with jig and minnow and have got a few pike and even a couple smallmouth (released unharmed) in 44 degree water.

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Well Blue Both Rivers and most of the Shoreline has Walleye cruising it now. The water is kind of skinny over there in the Bays but the fish are still there. It is up this year over last year and it should be on the way back up if History repeats itself. It comes up and it goes down. Mother Nature at her best. I have been fishing here forever. I've seen it lower and higher but it is the best fishing ever. Bob

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
Welcome to the network Blue Heron I bet we can learn from you. Fish will stay shallow till water temps drive them deep for the most part its fish shallow spring deep summer. Eyes will be showing up soon they just spawned and are getting it together i think.

h2o<--says glad to have you hear

·
Registered
35 Posts
what is the walley fishig like on walpole? i've heard stories about the cuts that feed the shipping channel are good, but never fished them.
I have not heard the name Ray Trombley in a long time, he's a legend. Good stuff!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigwilly, We have done all our walleye fishing in the Cut Off Channel. Like lots of other spots, it has been good but not as good as it used to be. I can remember when the channel was dredged, and there were still bullrushes growing in the bay along side - fantastic fishing. Last year we did better in the South Channel right alongside Harsens Island. I have a couple theories about the Cut Off Channel - one, there are no more emerald shiners, or silver bass, or terns like there used to be. Two, there are cormorants everywhere.

·
Registered
10,622 Posts
See your teaching already how wonderful.. Don't stop.

h2o<---says I agree with you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Blue Heron, I too follow the Florida Sportsman forums as well as this one, except instead of the Keys forum I mostly browse the SE or South Florida forums because I have a house in West Palm Beach that my family stays at several times a year.

Anyway, just saying hey and welcome. Like you, I don't post a lot but love to fish!

For sake of conversation - in Florida, do you mostly fish offshore or inshore? I don't own a boat there like I do here, but try to vary my fishing and do as much of both as I can while I'm there, on charters or piers/beaches. If you check out my site at my signature you'll see some pics of both freshwater and saltwater fishing experiences of mine.

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
Welcome Blue. I have been to the advisory commitee meetings last year and anticipate doing so again this year if my schedule allows.

Keep up the good work, and I am anxious to hear about your theories.

I have noticed a drop off in emeralds (not all gone) but the turns are still around. Also quite a few white bass are stillin the area. The alarming thing to me is the lack of smelt.

Mini

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I saw between 150 and 200 Cormorants in one flock on the Bay. That is very bad news for the bait thus the big fish we are after.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I wish we could find something that would eat the commerants!! Aren't they a delicasy in asia??? Maybe we could make them one. Think they are bad now, give them another 10 years of unchecked breeding and see how many there are.

Anyway, welcome to the site Blue Heron!!! Watch for the eyes to make there way up into the lake shortly.. Trolling off of metro should be good in a week or so. I was out there snooping around yesterday and nothing was going on yet. Won't be long though. Dumping grounds should be heating up shortly.

All this jabber about the south land has got me fired up to go catch some poons. I have 8 days off shortly and I can either finish my yearlong remod project or hop a plane for miami.....decisions, decisions.. I usully watch the keys forums and the SW forums on the FS site.. and they have been reporting some good fishing down there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts