Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i made my first foray into the moot last night. for most of the time, i was the only boat in there. went swimming and watched a beautiful sunset.

observations:
1) the moot water is COLD!

2) the moot is pretty dirty... kept stepping on beer bottles and other junk

3) it's a lot easier to get in there than i thought it would be

i plan on coming to a "tot lot" soon.

also, stopped at len's at 9mi/jeff for gas on my way to the moot and jack's was hopping. boats were rafting four deep on the wall!

best,
gus

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(gcalan @ Jul 31 2003, 08:55 AM)2) the moot is pretty dirty... kept stepping on beer bottles and other junk

also, stopped at len's at 9mi/jeff for gas on my way to the moot and jack's was hopping. boats were rafting four deep on the wall!
Interesting....luckily I have not stepped on anything in the moot yet, but I hope that everyone who goes out there picks up after themselves and brings a BUTT CAN! I used to smoke and YES, YOU CAN DO IT!

I'll be checking out Jack's on Friday.....thanks for the info

Dance like no one's watching....

·
AKA gcalan
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dancing girl,

my nephew and i made a game out of "diving for trash". we pulled a pretty good size bag of trash out of the moot.

if everyone picked up some trash everytime they went out, the problem would be more manageable??

best,
gus

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
That's great, Gus! Hope to see you out there sometime!

It's too bad the people take bottles out there, and throw their trash in the lake. I've been out there with some fellow LSCN'rs and was delighted to see how they went out of their way to help keep the bay clean. Picking other people's cig butts out of the water, cans, etc.

Hopefully, the more people find out out about LSCN, the more fun we can have in the moot and on the lake.

·
Registered
557 Posts
QUOTE(gcalan @ Jul 31 2003, 10:19 AM)dancing girl,

my nephew and i made a game out of "diving for trash". we pulled a pretty good size bag of trash out of the moot.

if everyone picked up some trash everytime they went out, the problem would be more manageable??

best,
gus
Wow, that's awesome that you did that, I courtesy and tip my hat to you. Sounds like that idea could be the makings of a future LSCN event. Think of all the trash we could get, there could even be a prize for the most trash collected! Are there any Cap'ns listening?

·
Registered
96 Posts
The last two times I was in the moot my freinds and I pulled out 2-3 cans/bottles. Is bringing bottles out on the boat looked down upon. Some of my friends really like Corona, and I don't know where you can find that in a can. If it is, i will tell them to bring something else if they want to drink.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bring whatever you want out on the boat... just leave it in the boat, not on the bottom of the lake. I don't mean to attack you there Big Mike, big this subject hits pretty close to home with me.

Two weekends ago (Sunsation Rally Sunday), I was out in Muskamoot Bay and sliced my foot open on an old can of some sort half buried in the sand. I didn't realize how bad it was until I looked down on the floor of my boat and saw what looked like half a pint of blood puddling on the deck surface.

I didn't think it was a big deal at the time, I simply put a band aid on it and shrugged it off. Next day, cut swelled up and was a very ugly shade of blue/black. One painful tetanus shot and a bottle full of bowel loosening antibiotics later, all is healed. So I guess I don't mind people throwing bottles or cans into the lake, as long as they don't mind me scattering about 500 rusted razor blades all over the deck of their boat.

-Bayley

·
Premium Member
11,184 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Mike_LCA @ Jul 31 2003, 12:42 PM)Is bringing bottles out on the boat looked down upon.
Good question. I guess I jumped the gun when I said that glass bottles should not be brought out. I guess that's my own mentality. From Bayley's post, it's obvious that cans can be just as dangerous as bottles, if not disposed of properly.

The bottom line, is be responsible with what you bring out.

Feel free to start another topic about the thoughts of bringing glass bottles out on the boat.

·
LSCN Sponsor
1,910 Posts
The only time i bring bottles out is when it is my own homebrew, I cant can it and have to use bottles. However I re use them for my next batch of beer, and even if I did not, they would never be thrown in the lake. Next time I think Ill pour my beer in a cup and see how that works. I am a FIRM BELIEVER of leaving a place cleaner than you found it be it the water ,woods, or anywhere else.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have never thrown anything in the lake that does not belong, well maybe a stone or two when I was little. If you ever see me toss a bottle or can in the lake, I give you permission to kick my @$$. Two weekends ago I hoped out of my boat and landed on something hard and smooth. I pulled it up and it was and old liquor bottle. I was very lucky it did not break or I might have spent the rest of my day getting stitches. I have cut my foot pretty bad on a zebra muscle, but I can't really blame boaters for that.

·
LSCN Sponsor since 3/11
4,629 Posts
QUOTE(Big_Mike_LCA @ Jul 31 2003, 04:47 PM)I have cut my foot pretty bad on a zebra muscle, but I can't really blame boaters for that.
Same here last summer. I usually always wear watershoes. I jumped in the water quick to set the anchor and sure enough, cut my foot. I learned my lesson.

·
Premium Member
9,536 Posts
Rules I remember from being with my family as a kid...NO GLASS ROUND THE LAKE!

I didn't know you could get cut by zebra mussles.

Shoes from now on!

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
My thought is no glass on the boat ever.....I understand most liqour doesn't come in plastic but than again your using a cup to drink it and not carrying it around with you. Accident happen and glass breaks so whenever possible no glass.

They do make Corona in cans. Have to look hard for it but they have it. Also just saw my first smirnoff ice in a plastic bottel. I'll keep my eyes out for it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts