Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a berkley 30# gripper for about $30.00
two weeks ago. It worked real nice for small fish like bass, walleye, & 8 - 15 lb muskies, I even landed a 19.5 lb
fish with it last week, but yesterday a 22.5 lb fish destroyed the gripper ( I almost lost the fish) it could
not take the thrashing of a muskie like that!
the berkley gripper is a #$% toy!
and the net still comes in real handy!
I found a rapala 60 lb. rated gripper this afternoon
at boat us for $90.00 that seems a lot more sturdy than the berkley (time will tell)
if this does not work, I will have to go to bps for a boga grip ($270.00 ouch)
the fishing has been good to us on the south shore
this week in 12 to 14 ft of water, up on top
(2 oz. 20 ft.) wileys & masons are hot with the boat rods producing the most fish. speeds of 3.5 to 4.2 mph.
we went 5 for 5 sat (noon to 8pm).
and 4 for 5 (8 am to noon) on sunday.
canadian waters had no floating weeds (nice!!)
happy trolling

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Nice fsish, too bad about the grippers. I picked up a boga grip 2 years ago and have had no problems, it was prices about $110 (30#), I cant believe they have gone up that much. Maybe check online or ebay, for a better price is you need too, hopefully the rapala will work much better.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Here are some details on the Boga Grip. The retail on this item is 119.99. The item is made by a guy in Florida from his Garage! He has a patent on the process and will not sell it to anyone. I assure you that everyone has tried including Bass Pro. He keeps the demand high by limiting how many he makes. We have tried several times to buy everyone he makes! I have a constant list of people waiting for this item.

Several companies have tried to make a replica of his invention without great success. The way it works is the reason for it's success and also protected by patent! With several companies making a version that has a much lower retail but not the quality!

Like you said the lower retail version works great on smaller fish but not the big time muskies!

If you do decide to get a Boga Grip call and reserve one at the fishing counter!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was wrong about the price of the boga grip, I have found the 60 lb. model on the net for $239.95 not
$270.00 as I posted before.
If the rapala model that I purchased yseterday fails
I will move up the the 60 lb. boga grip
(you can find the 60# model on line, get some in stock b.p.s.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts