Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 99.9% sure this is a gizzard shad but just want to be 100% sure. My buddy snagged it today in the TC. We didn't measure it but it looked to be around 15" or 16".

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
QUOTE(todd08 @ Mar 11 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>dont know for sure, but it is a goog size one!. get any eyes?

My buddy lost a nice one half way up that looked to be 6 or 7 Lbs. I lost a small one & was bitten off by something but we never got any in the boat in 3 hours of fishing. I've been fishing the TC for 21 years now & have never seen the water that clear. We could see the bottom (& our jigs) in 14 feet & could see the fish as well. It was cool being able to see the fish nipping at our jigs. The smaller 3" gulp minnows got more interest from the fish than the 4" & 5" baits. We should have picked up some minnows but we're both broke until payday. We were also out of stinger hooks because I've been too lazy to make some.

Water temps were 36.5 to 37.7 from 8' out to 21' & the shallows were just under 42. There was a lot of ice out from the launch at Erie Metro when we went out & some ice on the west shore by the Edison plant but when we left it was all gone.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That's a Gizzard Shad alright, and by the looks of it, it may qualify for a Master Angler award. Minimum entry length is 16". BTW, aren't they about one of the stinkiest fish in the lake?

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE(rubbnsmoke @ Mar 11 2010, 07:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That's a Gizzard Shad alright, and by the looks of it, it may qualify for a Master Angler award. Minimum entry length is 16". BTW, aren't they about one of the stinkiest fish in the lake?

Yes they do stink bad. The inside of my truck still smells from my buddy holding it.

A little late for the Master Angler since we didn't measure it.

·
Registered
6,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE(Contender @ Mar 11 2010, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I believe that is a moon eye.

Gizzard shad, have a black spot, like a shad rap.

Not a mooneye.

here's a mooneye:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
All I gotta say is...its nice to see a report from a BOAT! Thank you Zib..Bring spring on!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Some sort of shad, but not a gizzard. American or Threadfin perhaps? I'm too lazy tonight to figure it out but I do know that it not a Gizzard.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts