Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the famouse qoute about muskie is that it is "the fish of 10 thousand casts". WOW that's a lot of casts right! Well when you really break it down it's not as many as it sounds. When we did the last next bite show on LSC we had the camera man keep track of how many casts we would make in a minutes time. The results came in at an average of 100 casts per hour with bucktails and fast moving baits. Less with slower of course. So that being said in a 10 hour day which is an average muskie fishing day for us..that equates to 1000 casts per day. And many times that we have a 15-16 hour day 1500+ casts. So that's a week to 10 days before you will catch or get the chance to catch a muskie. Hmm....well 1st off I think it depends on what body of water your fishing and the numbers in it. Secondly depends on how familliar the angler is with the body of water their fishing. If you have to look for muskies and you don't know where they are located your prob going to spend more time moving around than casting. Although you may do a ton of casting if you find something that looks good right away. If you KNOW where muskies are and its just a matter of "gutting it out" then you will cast 500 to 100 times per hour easily imo. Now on a body of water like OUR little gem, you could hook into a 55+ monster in ONE cast like what happened to me before season on a small rattletrap. You can also cast for 10 hrs and not hook into a darn fish...SO I couldn't see fishing lake saint clair and not hooking a muskie in 2-4 days. I just can't see it even for a beginner as the lake has too many fish not to. 7 to 10 days of casting on other trophy waters such as Lake Millacs, Gorgian, Fox chain? Absolutely. So is the qoute true or exagurated? Well my answer and opinion would have to be it's beleivable but exagurated. There's nowhere I've fished and haven't been able to find and catch a muskie in 10 days. Something would really have to put em in a funk...

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
When that quote was made it was more than likely very true. Muskie fishing has changed in the last 100 years. Kid you are spoiled as you are fishing a lake with a large number of fish. It wasn't like this in the 20s and 30s or even the 40s. There were no where near the numbers as now. It would be a few days between even seeing fish back then.

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE(muskiebobsr @ Jun 21 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>When that quote was made it was more than likely very true. Muskie fishing has changed in the last 100 years. Kid you are spoiled as you are fishing a lake with a large number of fish. It wasn't like this in the 20s and 30s or even the 40s. There were no where near the numbers as now. It would be a few days between even seeing fish back then.

Which means you guys back then were some bad azz mutha humma's to stick that out. Yeah I know I'm spoiled that's why I don't mind getting skunked out there once in a while. Keeps things real

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
That might be Esoxfly

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
Matbe 100:000

·
LSCN Sponsor
5,472 Posts
I hope so as it is great fun. I have landed a few that way.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Like Muskie Bob said. I've been fishing for years, but relatively new to the big waters and muskies, and grew up thinking it was a big deal to catch one of them, period. Interesting to read old fishing literature: I've got an old Freshwater Fisherman's Bible from c.1972 that had a chapter on muskies, and maaannn, was it different than today... we are spoiled rotten musky fishing on LSC these days.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts