Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I grew up in Algonac and boated every day for a good part of my young adult life. I'm just getting back into boating and would like to take my kids out for a couple of days on Lake St. Clair. We are looking for a good place to throw the anchor in and camp overnight. Could anyone recommend a nice spot to do this?

Also, I would like to take them back into Fisher bay for swimming and tubing. I have a 20' Sea Ray Overnighter. Is the water level high enough for me to get back in there? Is so, what is the best way to get in there now? We used to take the cut off of the Sni or the the small cut that came off of the Middle channel behind those cottages. (Can't remember the names)

Thanks for your help,

Twig

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Hi. Fisher bay should be plenty accessible for you this year, I have been using it often with a 21' Sea Ray center console. You can enter a few different ways...I use the first cut from the sni by the no wake bouy, it puts you right in the back of Fisher Bay, it can be a little skinny right as you hit the bay but you should be good especially if you are on plane, just be careful coming through the reeds as there have been a lot of boats flying through there with no regard this year. If you do need to slow down you should be okay still getting in, I idled all the way across the bay last week and had no problems. Obviously, the deeper you go into the bay the shallower it is, as well as along the edges of the bay. The cut from the middle channel (across from Browns) should be fine for you also, the actual cut is plenty deep at the opening to the bay though it shallows up again for a few minutes, should be fine idling through if you tilt the drive a little, and especially no problem if you are already on plane. That cut is not very wide, I would slow down for the curve as you can't see boats coming around it, I would also stay as far to your right as possible.
For over-nighting I think Fisher would be a good protected spot to drop anchor as long as the wind isn't out of the south/south-west. I would be more comfortable on the east side of the bay farther in out of the way of anyone coming through the cut from the middle channel and heading straight for the sni, and make sure you leave your anchor light on. It is real easy to mis-read the shore coming across there at night and I have even found myself in too deep beyond the cut to the sni in the middle of the night, so use your anchor light and let your presence be known to avoid any close calls. Other places to over-night that would be good is Muscamoot, Little Muscamoot, Munchies, the end of the Baltimore cut...I'm sure others will chime in. Hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
...Been watching larger and larger boats enter Fisher's all summer...
I've taken mine (31' I/Bs) most of the way in from the Snye, but not past the shallow just as you enter the bay... waiting for a windless day to try. Should be do-able in a 21' easy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts