Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishermen rescued from St. Clair River after boat capsized
June 27, 2009

Local water rescue teams plucked two Canadian fishermen from the St. Clair River early Saturday morning after their boat capsized.

Capt. Mark Ford of the Port Huron Fire Department said the call for a capsized sail boat came in at about 12:05 a.m.

Ford said when the department's water rescue team arrived at the scene - in the middle of the St. Clair River parallel to the U.S. Coast Guard Station - the Coast Guard had just rescued the two men from a boat.

Ford said it ended up being a fishing boat, about 14-feet long. The two men were taken to the Canadian side of the river where ambulances waited.

"They are OK from everything we understand," Ford said.

A Coast Guard official was not immediately available for comment.

Ford said he didn't know a particular reason for why the boat capsized.

"The river wasn't rough really," he said.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey, uh....did you put the plug in? No, I thought you did.....oh crap.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jun 28 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tuna boat wakes....

That would not be my first guess being the incident happened at midnight. Could have been though, you never know.

More likely 4 guys whipping and anchored and took a wake from a freighter while one was standing up...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been out there whipping at night and I think the freighters roll through faster at night based on some of the wakes they make.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE(little guy @ Jun 28 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>QUOTE(motocross269 @ Jun 28 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tuna boat wakes....

That would not be my first guess being the incident happened at midnight. Could have been though, you never know.

More likely 4 guys whipping and anchored and took a wake from a freighter while one was standing up...

It's not practical for 3 people to whip out of a 14 ft boat, let alone 4 guys. They would have one mess after another of tangled lines each time a fish hit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Hmmmm.... 19 footer flips in erie, 14 footer flips in SCR. Both had 4 guys in it......might be a word of warning here.
Personally I can see "Hey look at this!" Everybody goes to the one side of the boat, a big wake hits and it's swimmin time!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would like to read more fishing reports from the boom man than just doom and gloom. We watch the news and they don't give fishing reports!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts