Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola all.

This might be a good Mini / Bill272 question as they both seem to get around!

Anyone been into Fisher's Bay yet this year - is there enough water to float a 26' drawing 34" draught? As much as I like the Moot, I'm getting tired of skeet shooting off of the Old Club (always seems to happen when I am trying to snooze), and not every weekend do I feel up to the Zman mania, despite how much fun he can bring to a Saturday afternoon.

A second, related, question - does anyone know if there is enough water to get in to the back end of Fisher's through the cut from the Snye(?sp) Channel (Chenal a Bout Rond) just down from the NCYC.

Thanks,
Scott.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would bet there's enough water to sneak into the back end of Goose Bay via the Doty Hwy... Haven't tried yet, but will soon.

Same goes for Fisher Bay via the Snye... I was going to attempt it last weekend but the wind kicked up. I'll probably try this weekend, assuming good weather, by rowing in with the dinghy after anchoring in the cut. I need 30" before bottoming out the props (inboards).

G

·
I have no idea about Fisher Bay depths. I haven't been back there since the water levels really dropped and really wasn't that wild about the mucky bottom there.

A few times each summer the power squadron has anchor parties in Goose Bay. To get there, you hang a left at buoy C5 and head NE for just under a mile, come off plane and head S until you get into 3-4' of water. You end up just north of buoy C11. The bottom is sand and you're protected from boat wakes from the middle channel traffic. Just as a disclaimer, I'm looking at an old chart (1976) for the buoys, but I think they are still numbered the same. Check a more current chart before heading there.

G

·
You could definatly get into the Doty Hwy, but into Fisher....I don't think you would want to try? I have been there on the sea doo several times this year, and it looks mucky in a lot of spots. However there is some depth in the Doty cut. You could get as far as that and that would be a nice secluded spot for you.

Only way to find out is to try.

Have you tried Bouvier Bay? Very nice up there. Couple differnt restaurants to dingy to if that is in fact what you have.
Just a thought.

Convincor

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Boys,

Thanks for the advice -- the marsh birds along the Doty Hwy were cool. Great place make a pot of coffee, have some bacon and eggs and listen to NPR (and then nap).

I appreciate you taking the time to share your lake knowledge. If I didn't live so damn far away (London, ON) I would be out there every day.

Thanks again.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
the cut into fisher from the snye is plenty deep to get in, but you wana be careful once your in, it quickly gets shallow, you also gota be careful which cut you go in, when you go in its the first cut, (heading up from ncyc) and just follow the blue water until your in the bay, and when your coming out if you went in a ways, be careful to come out the same cut, tucked back in the back of the bay, there is a little flag or float marking it, if you go out to soon in the cut before it, you will quickly find your self aground, i wouldnt try gettin there with the inboards, but with the dinghy you should have no problem on plane

hope i was of some help

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have a cottage on the Sni and I have tried several times in my 19` runabout and almost run aground. Went last week on a pontoon boat and made it....I watched a few brave boaters shoot it on full plane coming from the cut heading out into Goose Bay but they cut to the right as soon as they past the weedline.....Good luck if you try it...

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
i would never do it on a bigger boat but on the waverunners i do it, and on the dinghy, and last year a buddy o fmine got in on a 18ft whaler, i would never do it with the laguna though, it has to be a skiff basically

1 - 8 of 8 Posts