Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting a new boat, can anyone give me advice on a new fishfinder. Will mainly be fishing musky and walleye. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
Welcome to the site Bluefrog,

I just sat thru a seminar tonight on sonar/fishfinders. I came away with the conclusion that the Eagle 320 is about the best buy for the money. I know that you can spend more on other units but, for me, where I don't want to spend and arm and a leg, it has all the features I need for walleye and bass at a very reasonable price. The guy that presented the seminar agreed.

I would put together a spreadsheet of all the things that you wanted in a unit in priority order against all the ones you want to consider. You can get features available on line or from BPS or Cabelas catalogues. I did this and my decision is above. Good luck,

Jim

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
The seminar was at Gander Mountain in Pontiac Mini. I was put on by a pro walleye fisherman by the name of Lance Valentine. It was the third in a series of six seminars that Valentine is putting on for Gander Mountain covering most aspects of walleye fishing in Michigan. These are the subjects covered:

1 Proper walleye fishing equipment
2 Walleye fishing in rivers, ie, Detroit and Saginaw rivers
3 Using sonar and GPS/maps
4 Big water walleye, ie, lakes Erie and St Clair and Huron
5 Walleye in natural lakes and Mid Michigan walleye hotspots
6 The right information, planning a trip and putting together patterns

The first three were very good and very informative. Some of my friends that I finally convinced to attend on the third night were very impressed with Lance and wished that they had been there for the others. Gander Mountain also has specials on the night of each seminar on the equipment needed to utilize the information and techniques covered that night.

The seminars are on Mondays and start at 6:eek:o and last a full three hours with a guick 10 minute break about half way through. The store manager keeps the store open afterwards beyond closing hours to allow time for people to shop.

All in all I have gotten a lot out of the seminars. Although I thought that I knew a lot about walleye fishing, I have picked up many new ideas and learned what a pro thinks about and does when he fishes. I can say without shame that his depth of knowledge and attention to detail goes way beyond mine. I know that you bass pros are way beyond most of us casual anglers also when it comes to the bronze backs.

Sorry I didn't post something about the seminars before. I really didn't know what to expect or how good it would be. I didn't want to promote something that I didn't know anything about. Each week the attendance gets better as word gets out so I don't think I am the only one impressed.

Jim

·
Premium Member
18,804 Posts
I know Lance, he does do a good seminar.

Its not your job to do that, but it would sure be appreciated by Gander Mountain!

Mini

1 - 5 of 5 Posts