Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out this morning at daybreak to fish the canals at Metro Park. Water was muddy in the canals we tried. The Venetian canal was the worse of all of them. Probably because the water feeding it comes out of the clinton river???? Could see the bait about one foot deep and that was it. Tried minnows, crawler pieces and waxies and got absolutely nothing but a coup[le of dinks playing with all of the baits we threw at them. Tried the Venetian canal, the circle drive canal, the boat basins and the canal at the boat ramp and got no fish. The shore fishermen said they were getting little dink gills and that was it. Saw one group of guys on shore at the park that looked like they had a few carp on a stringer. The lake looked too rough for us to go try that this morning. Was a nice mild day temperature wise, but the wind looked pretty wicked looking at the flags standing pretty much straight out . Had a good time fishing with one of my buddies today. May be time to winterize the boat since the lake & canals will be getting muddier in the next few days.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Went out this morning at daybreak to fish the canals at Metro Park. Water was muddy in the canals we tried. The Venetian canal was the worse of all of them. Probably because the water feeding it comes out of the clinton river???? Could see the bait about one foot deep and that was it. Tried minnows, crawler pieces and waxies and got absolutely nothing but a coup[le of dinks playing with all of the baits we threw at them. Tried the Venetian canal, the circle drive canal, the boat basins and the canal at the boat ramp and got no fish. The shore fishermen said they were getting little dink gills and that was it. Saw one group of guys on shore at the park that looked like they had a few carp on a stringer. The lake looked too rough for us to go try that this morning. Was a nice mild day temperature wise, but the wind looked pretty wicked looking at the flags standing pretty much straight out . Had a good time fishing with one of my buddies today. May be time to winterize the boat since the lake & canals will be getting muddier in the next few days.
I went Tuesday 10/27/21 put in at Selfridge fished south bay, west bay and north bay....nothing. The shore fishermen at Selfridge said they never had a bite.
I was running fuel stabilizer in my gas last few times out, so I came home and winterize the motor / boat.
It's over for me..........😒

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran fuel stabilizer in mine too, both motors (main motor & kicker motor) When I winterize it, I always change the oil in the lower unit now. One time, long ago, I used to do this in the spring of the year when I would start itching to get the boat out. Well, there was water in the lower unit lube and it froze and broke the lower unit housing , a gear and the bearing retainer cage. It cost me big money just for the parts and I did my own labor. Since that time, I ALWAYS drain the oil in the fall of the year in case there is water in it again. I highly recommend this to ALL boaters.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm with you Iggy ... winterizing boat tomorrow. Too cold and windy last few days... surprising how Nov. hit and all of a sudden it feels like Winter coming on. Dunno tho ... lookin at weather next week might be able to get out 1 or 2 more times. I'll make my decision in the morning.Hey ... just wondering, you guys are all putting "fuel stabilizer" in last runs ... I use Seafoam ... what do you think?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use seafoam the entire boating season in my gas tank. I use the stabilizer in the winter months because what I read about the stabilizer, it helps the gas stay fresher during a long lay over if it's just sitting in the gas tank and not being used. I think the seafoam does just about the same thing when you are running the motor with stabilizer or seafoam in the gas. Actually, I think the seafoam keeps your engine and carb cleaner than the stabilizer would, but again, I use the stabilizer for a long layover of not running the motor.

Edit: The main thing is to drain that lower unit oil out when winterizing in case there is water in that lube. If there is water in it, it could cause extensive damage to your motor. I had first hand experience with this!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts