Lake St. Clair Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out behind Selfridge field yesterday. Started straight out from the Selfridge DNR ramps in 13 FOW, dragging a harness and using a 2 oz. BB. Began fishing at 5:45 A.M. Caught two eyes within the first 45 minutes. One was 16" the second one was 17". Could not get any more interested. Lot of fish fly carcasses on the water, and I did not see any fish coming up an sucking them up. I figure they all got filled up when the wigglers were coming out of the lake bottom and rising to the surface. Was marking a hell of a lot of fish on the Lowrance. Mostly perch???

Tried drifting out on the lake as well. Had a nice east wind that was moving us at .6 to .7 MPH on the drift. Caught a lot of small perch. No keepers, but too many to keep any bait on the hooks. Caught these dinks in 13 all the way into 8 FOW, NON-STOP. I tried a small 4" perch on a hook under a bobber hoping to nail a bass or pike, but no hits. I quit early, took my two walleyes home and we had them for dinner. Was a beautiful day to be out there.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Iggy do those wigglers do that every year? I knew that about mayfly's, but know about the wigglers. I went to a local reservoir with son-in-law Saturday morning for 3 hours. We got him a decent meal. 2 nice perch and 8 decent sized bluegill.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Went out behind Selfridge field yesterday. Started straight out from the Selfridge DNR ramps in 13 FOW, dragging a harness and using a 2 oz. BB. Began fishing at 5:45 A.M. Caught two eyes within the first 45 minutes. One was 16" the second one was 17". Could not get any more interested. Lot of fish fly carcasses on the water, and I did not see any fish coming up an sucking them up. I figure they all got filled up when the wigglers were coming out of the lake bottom and rising to the surface. Was marking a hell of a lot of fish on the Lowrance. Mostly perch???

Tried drifting out on the lake as well. Had a nice east wind that was moving us at .6 to .7 MPH on the drift. Caught a lot of small perch. No keepers, but too many to keep any bait on the hooks. Caught these dinks in 13 all the way into 8 FOW, NON-STOP. I tried a small 4" perch on a hook under a bobber hoping to nail a bass or pike, but no hits. I quit early, took my two walleyes home and we had them for dinner. Was a beautiful day to be out there.
Sounds like a good morning for a weekend day. I refuse to even try weekends anymore.
The Fish Fly carcasses have been super heavy this year in The Bay area. The Pan Fish seem to eat on them, but the Bass and Pike eat the fresh live meaty ones on the surface.
😎

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iggy do those wigglers do that every year? I knew that about mayfly's, but know about the wigglers. I went to a local reservoir with son-in-law Saturday morning for 3 hours. We got him a decent meal. 2 nice perch and 8 decent sized bluegill.

That is a nice perch. yes, those wigglers come up and "hatch" every year. Some years is worse than other years. I've heard they only do this in lakes that are clean and healthy, so LSC is clean & healthy I guess. LOL All those wigglers do is come up, float and a fish fly comes out of them, same as a butterfly coming out of a cacoon. The female fish flies lay their eggs then die, mostly right on the water after about 5 minutes. The males do their thing then fly around everywhere, and die usually in a few hours. They do not even have a mouth, so their only reason for being alive at all is to reproduce and that is it!!! I've seen years when they had to bring out street sweepers in New Baltimore & Chesterfield Twp. to sweep the fish flies off of the streets.
View attachment 210719

1 - 4 of 4 Posts